The Director of Engineering is responsible for providing leadership for the Engineering functions and the development and identification of engineering resources necessary to support Virent’s efforts to commercially deploy its technologies. The engineering function in Virent has recently centralized and Virent is looking for a dynamic leader capable of providing effective engineering support to the whole of the Virent organization. Working with R&D, Business Development, Operations and Business Analysis, the Director of Engineering actively participates in formulating and implementing Company strategies, operating policies and practices, and other necessary measures to ensure Virent’s efficiency, growth and success. He/She provides effective management and direction to their areas of responsibility and facilitates appropriate communication throughout the Company to ensure proper execution, visibility and support Engineering functions. The Director of Engineering seeks continuous improvement in the Engineering functions and establishes and manages quality control measures to ensure goals and objectives are met.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Oversee the engineering team, directing resources necessary to complete engineering activities.
- Analyze, evaluate, plan and execute on both existing and contemplated Engineering activities, programs and strategies. Develop benchmark criteria to measure the efficiency and effectiveness of departmental programs.
- Direct planning and engineering activities for all major work, accountable for both cost control and schedule attainments, facilitates integration of project work and competing priorities, and maintains active communication with all stakeholders to ensure any changes and issues are understood.
- Review work requirements with Project Management and others necessary to determine contract skills and manpower requirements, manages bids and selection of outside contractors for engineering services, and participates in facility optimization and troubleshooting engineering to solve engineering, operations and maintenance problems.
- Develop accurate cost estimations and suggest alternate pathways for accomplishing tasks to deliver projects on time and on budget.
- Ensure in-house Engineering capabilities, as well as needed external resources, are responsive to the Company’s strategic commercial plans and strategy.
- Manage scale up process and alignment of resources to successfully design and build commercial facility. Inform and recommend mitigation plans for engineering and scaling risks associated with process scale-up.
- Continually develop Engineering department staff, including hiring highly qualified candidates, providing training, and mentoring staff for optimal growth.
Education and Experience Requirements
- Provide visible safety leadership, working to build and sustain a culture of safe behavior and priority of safety issues.
Master’s degree in Chemical Engineering, Bioprocessing, or other related field. AND
20+ years of related experience in a fast paced R & D and/or bioprocessing environment or equivalent experience in the Petrochemical industry. 10 years leadership experience managing complex engineering projects, leading a multi-disciplined team of engineers and technicians. AND
- Experience with all phases of process and project development from initial concept to lab prototypes to pilot plants to commercial scale plants.
- Practical knowledge in the design and operation of chemical reactors, heat exchangers, and separations, including distillation.
- Previous experience in process engineering and design including equipment sizing and specification, heat and material balances, PFD and P&ID development, relief load calculations, and instrument specifications.
- Knowledge of and experience with feedstock and catalyst development.
Virent - 14 months ago