Responsible for performing collection activities on delinquent first mortgage loans. Follows up on problem accounts from preliminary phone calls through foreclosure as necessary. Reviews delinquent accounts, determines probable reasons for account status, and contacts members to resolve the delinquencies. Utilizes various techniques, as circumstances indicate, to promptly collect funds. Assists with collection activities performed by other department personnel. Provides support and assistance to area personnel and ensures that the Credit Union's professional image is maintained.
1. Assumes responsibility for the effective and professional performance of collection functions.
a. Monitors delinquency reports and verifies the status of the loans.
b. Makes early contact with members to collect and keep them informed of loan status.
c. Follows up on delinquent notices by telephone, personal contact, and correspondence to secure a satisfactory resolution to the repayment problem. Discusses possible loss mitigation and informs members of potential legal actions.
d. Utilizes effective human relations skills and various forms of persuasion to present a positive Credit Union image in an already negative situation. Calms irate members and answers member questions and complaints relevant to Department functions. Determines reasons for delinquencies and works toward permanent solutions. Minimizes losses by early actions.
e. Continues collection activities until loan is referred to the senior collector for foreclosure or attorney account.
f. Documents all collection actions taken, including telephone conversations, alternative financial arrangements, and correspondence.
g. Performs collections efforts in accordance with Credit Union and secondary market investor policies and procedures and ensures they are legally compliant.
h. Assists with activities for mortgage loans qualifying under the Servicemembers Civil Relief Act.
2. Assumes responsibility for ensuring that professional business relations are established and maintained with Credit Union members.
a. Maintains the Credit Union's professional reputation throughout collection operations and in all contacts with members.
b. Maintains confidentiality.
c. Receives member phone calls and provides accurate and clear information as requested.
d. Researches loan accounts that appear on late and potentially late records to ensure that Credit Union errors are detected promptly. Provides members the opportunity to fully explain their loan status.
3. Assumes responsibility for establishing and maintaining effective communication and coordination with Credit Union personnel.
a. Assists area personnel as needed.
b. Keeps management informed of activities, progress attained toward established objectives, and of any significant problems.
c. Attends and participates in meetings as required.
d. Ensures that collection reports are accurate and up-to-date.
6. Assumes responsibility for related duties as required or assigned.
a. Stays well informed of changes in collections' and investor policies, procedures, and related legal requirements.
b. Actively and professionally cross-sells Credit Union services.
Maintains cleanliness and security of work area, desks, and equipment.
d. Performs other duties as required or assigned.
- High school graduate or equivalent.
- Familiarity with mortgage loan collection procedures and related laws and regulations.
- Familiarity with Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, FHA, VA, and other investor requirements and guidelines.
- Understanding of investor delinquent reporting requirements, policies, and procedures.
- Basic understanding of court related procedure.
- Understanding of collection processes and compliance.
- Office experience, preferably with a full-service financial institution
- Previous collection experience is preferred.
- Good math and accounting abilities.
- Well organized and attentive to detail.
- Accuracy and thoroughness in work.
- Excellent communication, telephone, and public relations skills.
- Professional appearance, dress, and attitude.
- Ability to work well independently as well as in a team environment.
- Ability to handle stressful situations.
- Ability to operate related computer applications and basic business equipment.
America First Credit Union - 17 months ago