Monthly Salary : $3,346 - $5,621 *
Title : International Student Advisor (SAO II)
Category : Student Affairs
Department : International Education Center
Final Filing Date : Open Until Filled
This is a full-time, career position. Schedule of hours is Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Must be able to work evenings and weekends as needed.
As required by federal regulations, hired individual must be a United States citizen or permanent resident in order to serve as a Designated School Official and Alternate Responsible Officer.
Essential Functions :
- The budgeted monthly starting salary range for this position is $3,346 - $4,863.
The International Student Advisor serves as a student advisor in a fast-paced and constantly changing environment, providing critical advising to graduate and undergraduate international students. Acts as the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) registrar, taking lead responsibility for quarterly batch processing, data management and regulatory advising. In collaboration with the international student team, provides professional intercultural programming for international students; creating a welcoming and supportive environment that fosters student wellness and success. This position does require some evening and weekend work.
The advisor works under the general direction of the Associate Director.
Minimum Requirements :
Preferred Qualifications :
- Bachelor's degree.
- Successful applicant must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident to comply with current federal laws and regulations regarding Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) .
- At least one year of recent experience as a Designated School Official and an additional year of experience working with the international community.
- Experience with Internet search engines, listservs and news groups to collect data or distribute information.
- Experience with maintaining simple or moderately complex databases, such as FSA-ATLAS, through data entry, data queries and database design modifications.
- Skill in preparing comprehensive and in-depth analysis of complex, sensitive, and multifaceted issues in a dynamic regulatory and policy driven environment.
- Skill in researching, understanding, and interpreting complex and/or detailed documents such as the code of federal regulations.
- Demonstrated skill in exercising patience, diplomacy and flexibility in interacting with students.
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written) and demonstrated skills in making oral presentations to an international audience through innovative media formats to provide information, instructions, or explain subjects of interest.
- Skills in dealing effectively with ambiguity and uncertainty.
- Excellent organizational skills, ability to set and meet goals, prioritize workload, handle multiple interruptions and meet deadlines for multiple projects.
- Skill in developing a vision or image of how a system/process/program should operate under ideal circumstances.
- Skill in creating and editing documents, worksheets, reports using moderately advanced features in applications such as: Word, Access, Excel, FileMaker Pro, FSA-ATLAS or other software applications.
- Skill in exporting/importing data to or from different software applications, especially as it relates to the SEVIS real time interface.
- Skill in accurate record keeping with strict attention to detail (electronic or written format).
- Knowledge of the implications of external regulations and laws, in addition to internal policies and procedures.
- Ability to supervise student or volunteer employees as needed.
- Ability to work effectively as an individual with minimal supervision and as a part of a team.
- Ability to effectively use media and social networking to communicate and market programs, events and regulatory updates.
- Demonstrated ability to assess and evaluate interactions from intercultural perspectives, using practices of the field of international education.
- Demonstrated ability to comprehend, analyze and apply complex immigration regulations as they relate to international students and Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS).
- Ability to take risks and act as a catalyst for change.
- Ability to work evenings and weekends as needed.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality at all times.
- Hired applicant must successfully pass a background check through the Department of Justice.
Benefits of Belonging:
- Master's degree in a related field.
- 2 years of experience a Designated School Official and at least 3 years of experience working with international students.
- Experience with FSA-ATLAS database management strongly preferred.
- Experience with Publisher, Photoshop and video editing.
- Experience with HTML and website development.
- Completion of NAFSA F and J foundation workshops.
- Ability to speak a foreign language and experience living or studying abroad.
We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits package for more information click The Benefits of Belonging (this is a .pdf document).
For more information about UCR and the department this position is located see UCR International Education Center .
Information about UCR:
In the Heart of Inland Southern California, UC Riverside is located on nearly 1,200 acres near Box Springs Mountain in Southern California, the park-like campus provides convenient access to the vibrant and growing Inland region. The campus is a living laboratory for the exploration of issues critical to growing communities air, water, energy, transportation, politics, the arts, history and culture. UCR gives every student the resources to explore, engage, imagine and excel.
UCR is ranked 43rd among top public universities (US News and World Report 2010).
At UC Riverside we celebrate diversity and are proud of our #5 ranking among the nations for most diverse universities (US News and World Report 2010). Become part of a place that fosters success for all its constituents, students, faculty, and staff, and where work/life balance and campus culture are integral to our way of life.
UCR is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer with a commitment to workforce diversity.
UniversityJobs.com - 2 years ago