Under general supervision from the Custodial Supervisor, leads, directs and works with a squad performing a wide variety of tasks; cleaning and unskilled building maintenance, event set ups, and animal and insect control, which includes medium to heavy lifting activities inside and outside a variety of the College’s facilities. These facilities could include office space, laboratories, eating facilities, public areas, auditoriums, etc. Implements recycling procedures.
Skills & Knowledge
- Ability to understand and follow verbal and written instructions.
- Ability to provide work directions and train others in the use of cleaning equipment and custodial work.
- Ability to operate and maintain heavy industrial cleaning equipment (vacuum cleaners, powered scrubber, buffer and carpet shampoo) and other hand operated tools.
- Knowledge of safe use of various chemical substances used for cleaning purposes and insect control.
- Familiarity or ability to learn different table/chair arrangements for event set ups.
- Ability to perform moderate to heavy physical labor, including lifting and carrying light to medium weight objects.
- Must have successfully completed the following training prior to performing the work to which the training relates:
-Blood Borne Pathogens
- Commitment to diversity and to serving the needs of a diverse community.
- Two years experience related to custodial work.
- Demonstrated ability in dealing effectively with and leading others.
Regular Full Time
Department Contact for Cover Letter
- On a daily basis: creates and schedules daily/weekly work assignments for custodians and ensures they have adequate supplies, equipment, and personal protection to perform their work in a safe manner.
- Trains workers in the proper use, care and cleaning of equipment and correct practices and procedures in performing the work.
Monitors work in progress and ensures work performed meets department standards and customer expectations.
- Maintains on-going inventory of cleaning materials and all equipment needed to do the work. Provides inventory information to supervisor as needed.
- Provides custodial supervisor with daily account report and informs of any problems and when equipment is in need of repair or replacement.
- On a daily basis or when appropriate: unlocks and locks assigned; cleans, mops, strips, waxes, and buffs all hard surface floors e.g. stairways, public restrooms, kitchen areas, laboratories, dining rooms, hallways; vacuums and shampoos carpeted offices, hallways and common areas; washes windows (inside and outside) in entrance halls; dusts office furniture and window sills.
- On a daily basis: cleans restrooms. saunas, showers; sanitizes and disinfects and deodorizes toilet bowls and sinks; wipes and cleans counters/vanities; polishes mirrors; replaces and stocks restroom supplies.
- On a daily basis: empties office and common area trash cans; implements FO&M recycling procedures; picks up, bags, and removes all trash inside building as well as loose trash twenty ft. around building perimeter to designated areas.
- On an as needed basis: Performs set up and break down for College events (e.g. on the average thirty 8FT tables and 350 chairs); sets up a variety of planned events based on the design of the arrangement specified in the work order; sets up and places tables, chairs, lecterns, podiums, dividers, platforms, coat racks, etc. Places covers on tables.
- On an as needed basis: sweeps dirt and leaves and shovels snow from walkways and spreads sand on walkways a minimum of three feet from all entrances and exits to buildings at the start of the shift and throughout day.
- Sets chemical and mechanical traps to catch a variety of rodents and takes captured/dead rodents to outside area for release or proper container. Sprays inside and outside of buildings with various chemicals to control insects.
- Work requires bending (35%), kneeling (25%), climbing (l0%), and working in cramped or awkward positions (l5%).
- Work involves regular lifting and carrying of objects weighing up to 50 pounds (70%).
- Work involves regular stair climbing in buildings of 4 to 5 levels (15%).
- Work is performed indoors (90%), outdoors (5%), in bad weather (2%) and in areas that are noisy, dirty, or smoky (3%).
- Work involves exposure to hazards from bums (2%), cuts (10%) and chemical fumes (5%).
- Work involves wearing special or protective clothing, such as gloves (20%) and goggles (l0%).
- Work is performed in unpleasant environments, such as restrooms (5%).
Dartmouth College - 16 months ago