This position will be part of the DevOps team within Website and Cloud Operations. The candidate will be responsible for creating infrastructure designs and guiding the development and implementation of cloud applications, systems and processes. This position will be working directly with application developers, usually embedded within the development team itself. The candidate will need to be able to handle multiple tasks in a fast paced team environment with experience in:
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Cloud and virtualization based technologies (Amazon Web Services (AWS), VMWare vCloud)
- Java Application Server Administration (Glassfish, Weblogic, Tomcat)
- Linux/UNIX Administration (Ubuntu and RedHat/CentOS)
- Developing cloud infrastructure designs and implementations and guiding application development teams
- On call support of production infrastructure and applications. Business hours support for development systems
- Support always-available cloud based software as a service (SaaS) applications
- Support systems serving the corporate web presence
- This position will be required to participate in a rotating on-call pool.
- Making decisions on problem resolutions in critical down time situations when escalation is impractical.
- Creating infrastructure and architectural designs and implementation plans and guide the implementation with the operations team.
- Providing requirements and enhancements to the tools development team who provide the deployment and administration tooling.
- Working with architects and developers to create supportable designs and debug problems
- Ability to debug applications based on core dumps or exception stack traces is helpful.
- Knowledge of monitoring tools and integrating them with Java, Ruby and Apache is a strong plus.
- Ability to understand code that is running on the server and help developers leverage application and cloud platform features and functionality
- Ability to participate in code and design reviews.
- Supporting development and testing environments
- Mentoring operational Web Admins
- Creating knowledge sharing presentations and documentation to help developers and operations teams understand and leverage the systems capabilities.
- Learning on the job and explore new technologies with little supervision. Must be able to design infrastructure changes to meet changing needs of developers and end users.
- Scripting (BASH, Perl, Ruby) and building required automation and tools on an adhoc basis.
- Interfacing between application development, infrastructure support and tools development teams
Nice to have
- Required / Preferred
BS /MS in computer science or related field.
8+ years experience with at least 3 years of web administration and 2 years of cloud experience.
Ability to learn on the job, much of what we do isn’t in formal training
Prior administration of Weblogic or Glassfish
Experience tuning Java applications and Java application servers
Working knowledge of both Unix/Linux and Windows operating systems
Application clustering/ load balancing
Clear written and verbal communication skills.
Solid experience with Amazon Web Services (AWS) and/or VMware vCloud
Java Application Server administration experience (Glassfish, Weblogic, Tomcat)
Solid Linux experience (Ubuntu, RedHat/CentOS) with a focus on web (Apache/Nginx)
- Understanding of Web services (SOA)
- Understanding of protocols/technologies like HTTP, SSL, LDAP, JDBC, Servlet/JSP, SQL, HTML, XML
It’s the chance to collaborate with bright, passionate people. It’s contributing to software products that make a difference in the world. And it’s being part of a company with an incredible commitment to doing the right thing – for each individual, our customers, and the local community.
- Java development experience is a strong plus
- Experience with Ruby on Rails/Passenger
- Experience with monitoring systems (Tivoli, Wily, BMC, Nagios…)
- MATLAB knowledge
- F5 load balancer experience
MathWorks develops MATLAB and Simulink, the leading technical computing software used by engineers and scientists. The company employs 2500 people in 15 countries, with headquarters in Natick, Massachusetts, U.S.A. MathWorks is privately held and has been profitable every year since its founding in 1984.
MathWorks is the leading developer of mathematical computing software. MATLAB, the language of technical computing, is a programming...