Solid reputation, passionate people and endless opportunities.
That's Travelers. Our superior financial strength and consistent record of strong operating returns mean security for our customers - and opportunities for our employees. You will find Travelers to be full of energy and a workplace in which you truly can make a difference.
The Travelers Companies, Inc. (NYSE: TRV) is a leading property casualty insurer with diverse business lines offering global customers a wide range of coverage for auto, home and business. In 2010, the company achieved $25B in annual revenues and produced its third highest operating income in history. With offices in every state within the United States, the UK, Ireland and Canada, the company currently employs over 30,000 professionals. Complementing its financial strength, Travelers competitive advantages include: superior depth and breadth of product offerings, industry-leading underwriting and risk management, cutting-edge technology platforms and a reputation for fast, fair, and effective claims handling. Travelers is rated A+ by A.M. Best.
Business Insurance (BI) provides commercial insurance coverage to the marketplace and is Travelers largest major division. Within BI, the Select and Middle Market (MM) business areas account for the majority of premium and accounts. BI has launched major strategic initiatives that will transform its operating model in the areas of Policy Administration, Work Management and Underwriting Workstation capabilities, access and user experience.
As a key part of the strategic initiatives in Business Insurance described above, Travelers seeks Senior WebSphere Portal Developer who will lead design and delivery activities within the organization. Responsibilities may be in any of the strategic initiatives related to Policy Administration, Work Management or Underwriting Workstation. These initiatives will employ advanced technologies and methodologies in order to deliver critical business functionality incrementally and adhering to architectural principles of reuse and multi-device deployment. Working closely with the application development teams, Business Insurance IT Architecture and enterprise technology organizations, this position will lead design and development activities within the Business Insurance strategic program.
As a key part of the strategic initiatives in Business Insurance described above, Travelers seeks a talented, passionate WebSphere Portal Developer to drive the delivery of web solutions that provide the optimal user experience within our technology stack.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
Education / Work Experience
- Perform portal and portlet level design, and development
- Development of server-side components to satisfy front-end requirements.
- Adopt and communicate new concepts, ideas, techniques, best practices and technology assistance
- Must be proficient in Portal platform and have strong technical design and programming skills
- Strong MS SQL Server T-SQL, or equivalent SQL experience
- Excellent problem analysis and problem solving skills
- Object-oriented designexperience (UML a plus)
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively with peers, partners and customers
- Ability to develop and present technical concepts to a business audience is desired
- Understanding and experience with the systems development life cycle (SDLC) using agile methodologies
- Prior experience with iterative development is a plus
- Ability to rapidly learn technical/business techniques and disciplines
- Strong commitment to high quality work and timely deliverables
- Ability to work on multiple projects at the same time
- Insurance knowledge is a plus
Has solid working experience in the following technologies:
Other Skills and Traits
- Experience with WebSphere Portal (WebSphere experience is a must have)
- Java based Portal Technologies (JSR286)
- Component Based Design
- Application Integration
- Development platforms (JEE)
- Web Service design
- Middleware technologies including ESB is a plus
- Transaction design (OLTP, Batch, etc.)
- Java, JSF, Java UI frameworks (Struts, SEAM, Spring) or transferrable skills from similar technologies - such as .NET
- Ajax experience, including developing or working with services (RESTful or otherwise)
Business Knowledge & Partnership: Creates an atmosphere where business partner's issues are dealt with professionally, and in a timely manner. Suggests solutions that make sense and are in line with future technology direction. Communicates openly and effectively in a manner consistent with the audience. Demonstrates an adaptive style that is flexible and effective in gaining cooperation of others. Anticipates and responds to management requests for information with timely, accurate findings
Problem Solving & Decision Making: Demonstrates sound analytical and diagnostic skills dealing with issues that are not readily defined and/or conflict with available information. Knows where to obtain information needed to make the appropriate decisions. Breaks a problem down to manageable pieces and implements effective, timely solutions. Is very good at identifying the problem versus the symptom. Deals increasingly with problems that require involvement of others to solve. Has the ability to reach sound decisions quickly. Carefully evaluates alternative risks and solutions before taking action. Optimizes the use of all available resources
Team Orientation: Maintains partnerships across the organization, and is able to influence senior management, peers and staff through an inclusive style and recognition of their abilities to achieve results. The success of the team is above own interest Leadership. Manages functional objectives and priorities supporting multiple assigned business units. Responsibilities are assigned with latitude for setting priorities and decision-making using generally accepted guidelines. Results are reviewed with next level manager for clarification according to predefined objectives
Planning and Project Management: Assists Project Manager with operational plans and provides resource estimation for task planning. Proposes plans of action that are timely, realistic and positive for the project. Helps Project Manager set goals. Provide insight / status to assist in monitoring progress against the plan
Financial Awareness: Understands, has input to the budget process, and is responsible for cost-effective expense control of assigned projects. Responsible for important and confidential information
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We actively promote a drug-free workplace.
Job Category : Information Systems
Sabre Holdings, an S&P 500 company, is a world leader in travel commerce, retailing travel products and providing distribution and...