Looking for a new opportunity in a detail-oriented workplace?
The Alaska Court System (ACS) is recruiting for a Deputy Clerk III at the Barrow Trial Courts. This position will perform a variety of clerical and technical functions in support of court operations. Primary tasks include in-court clerk duties and criminal case processing.
- Serve as in-court clerk for the Magistrate on all District Court criminal matters and for the Superior Court Judge on Superior Court criminal matters, including trials;
- Prepare the courtroom for hearings, unlock doors, post daily court calendar, test microphones and recording equipment, announce opening and closing of court proceedings; ensure sufficient quantities of reference materials, supplies, and forms are available;
- Review case files for prior and pending actions; call the roll of prospective jurors and assist in jury selection; assign jurors to seats; track jury attendance and notify the jury if and when they must return to court;
- Administer oath or affirmation to jurors, witnesses, bailiffs, interpreters, and other appropriate persons; maintain a list of witnesses who testify;
- Mark and maintain exhibits and exhibit lists; collect and properly store exhibits;
- Record court proceedings and prepare an accurate summary of the proceedings and index to the audio record; note hearing outcomes such as bail conditions set, minute orders, and future court dates.
We provide a variety of benefits for eligible employees, which are a significant part of the total compensation package. These benefits include:
- Open criminal cases, prepare necessary forms for cases on the calendar; ensure daily calendar files have been pulled; prepare and distribute necessary documentation such as orders appointing counsel, temporary orders, conditions of release, hearing notices, judgments, disposition orders, summons, and orders to show cause;
- Prepare and distribute warrants; monitor service status and quash or recall warrants at direction of the judicial officer; enter data into case management system including attorney information, address information, future court dates, and case status;
- Enter motions into motion tracking and update as case progresses; ensure motions are routed to the appropriate judicial officer in a timely manner;
- Prepare disposition documents and enter same into case management system;
- Close criminal cases in the case management system including entering sentencing information and cost dockets; review and distribute judgments and/or dismissals to all required parties;
- Receipt fines, restitution, and bail monies; enter arrest bonds when bail is posted;
- Assist the public, attorneys, and other courts with inquiries; may bailiff for jury trials; provide back-up coverage and support for other positions in the office;
- Serve as back-up Civil Clerk, including in-court duties for civil hearings; other duties as assigned.
The list of applicants generated from this recruitment may be used to fill any future vacancies of this job class in the Barrow Trial Courts within 60 days of the closing date.
- Medical and dental coverage for employee and eligible dependents
- Vision plan (optional)
- Employer paid Basic Life Insurance with additional coverage available
- 37.5 hour work week
- 11 paid holidays
- Personal leave accrual of at least 15 hours per month
- Retirement programs with a wide variety of investment options
- Supplemental Benefits System (SBS)
- Deferred Compensation Plan (optional)
For more information on the Alaska Court System, please visit:
For information on the City of Barrow, please visit:
View Class Specifications for this job:
Graduation from high school or completion of a General Education Development (GED) certificate AND one year of office clerical experience AND the ability to type at least 40 words per minute.
Additional office clerical work experience will substitute for the high school diploma or GED certificate on a month-for-month basis.
Completion of 36 semester credit hours or 48 quarter credit hours of coursework from an accredited college will substitute for the year of required office clerical experience.
Completion of an appropriate vocational training course of study such as legal secretary, paralegal, or office skills will substitute for the required office clerical experience on a month-for-month basis.
Job Specific Information:
The following is a list of job specific questions for this position.
Do you have experience with minute-taking and/or note-taking in a workplace environment? Please explain in your Cover Letter.
Will your references attest to your excellent organizational abilities?
Do you have the ability to establish priorities, change them as necessary, and work independently in a detail-oriented environment to meet deadlines? Please describe in your Cover Letter.
Are you able to maintain a high level of accuracy even with interruptions and as deadlines approach? Please explain in your Cover Letter.
Can you demonstrate strong oral and written communication skills? Please describe in your Cover Letter.
Are you comfortable learning new computer applications and programs? Please explain in your Cover Letter.
Do you have experience performing complex data entry? Please describe in your Cover Letter.
Have you worked in a legal office setting? Please explain in your Cover Letter.
Do you have experience acting as a liaison between several different agencies or several different units within a division? Please explain in your Cover Letter.
Do you have a spouse or any close relative(s) employed by the Alaska Court System? ("Close relative" means father, mother, son, daughter, brother, sister, husband, wife, grandfather, grandmother, grandson, granddaughter, uncle, aunt, first cousin, niece, nephew, father-in-law, mother-in-law, brother-in-law, sister-in-law, son-in-law and daughter-in-law, including those involving half or step relationships. "Spouse" includes not only a husband or wife, but also any person with whom the applicant maintains a shared household and conjugal relations). If "yes" indicate name(s), location(s), and job title(s) in the Applicant Cover Letter.
Workplace Alaska - 22 months ago
copy to clipboard