Please Note: This role can be based in either Wilmington, DE or Waltham, MA. Relocation will not be provided. Functional Area Description: The MBB is responsible for leading the deployment of Continuous Improvement in a Global Function (and/or a key business area) in the R&D organisation, and to support the development of a continuous improvement culture. The MBB will work with the senior managements' teams to strategically align improvement projects and activities to the R&D value drivers and ensure the benefits are realised and visible to the business. The MBB will coach, mentor and provide technical management of a team of Continuous Improvement Black Belts and Green Belts and will be accountable for maximizing the effective utilisation of this resource to deliver the most business value.
Impact of Role on the Business:
The role holder will be a key champion within AZ for Continuous Improvement excellence and as such they will impact upon three main areas. Develop and own specific elements of the R&D value chain (e.g. lead optimisation PoC),
Major Responsibilities and Accountabilities: 1. Deployment
- Assess performance and update based on continuous improvement and learning Drive and deliver continuous improvement excellence across specified GMD, MedImmune, Innovative Medicine & Functions
- Support organisation in building and maintaining a stable continuous improvement capability
- Capture and share best practice/learning and coordinate with project management
- Support talent management, development and retention
- Ensure delivery of high quality training and development (non- specific functional/non-DA specific)
- Ensure alignment of functional continuous improvement goals to the R&D value chain Define and support tools and processes required for continuous improvement
- Articulate the 'demand' from R&D and provide a continuous improvement service to aid specified project teams deliver their goals
- Knowledge management, continuous improvement project planning, risk/opportunity, budgeting etc
Level 3 Leadership Capabilities Passion for Customers: Manages Multiple Customer Needs: applies long term insight to the demands of multiple customers in AZ decision making and planning. Thinks Strategically: Uses Deep Insight to Impact Broadly: individual is still thinking broadly, but also identifies opportunities and develops solutions that impact beyond their role/function. Acts Decisively: Creates Clarity for Others to Make Decisions: individual creates the climate for others to act decisively by clarifying roles and responsibilities and limits of decision-making Drives Performance: Anticipates and/or Removes Obstacles for Others: individual anticipates and removes obstacles so that teams/workgroups can deliver results and succeed Works Collaboratively: Creates Shared Purpose Across Boundaries: individual works across boundaries to establish common purpose and goals to deliver value to the business. Develops People and Organisation: Develops Others for the Long-Term: individual invests in the long-term development of others by agreeing challenging and relevant development opportunities to prepare them for future roles
- Contribute to the strategy for Continuous Improvement deployment and to lead Continuous Improvement implementation effort as assigned.
- Partner with assigned customers and project champions to identify and prioritise projects that are aligned with key business drivers.
- Provide coaching and support to project and leadership teams to ensure successful continuous improvement deployment.
- Support the development of a continuous improvement culture across R&D
- Lead components of the overall deployment, which cut across Global Functions in support of drug project delivery 2. Project and Benefits Delivery
- Lead complex, high-visibility and high impact improvement projects supporting business critical drug projects
- Provide analysis and feedback to senior management on project activities, value improvements, financial savings and enhanced staff engagement across the Continuous Improvement portfolio.
- Create dashboards to monitor performance and improvements in key metrics. 3. Coaching and Mentoring
- Coach, mentor and technical leadership of Black Belts and Green Belts in the application and development of continuous improvement and development.
- Review/critique projects for appropriate methodology and tools usage. 4. Training Development and Delivery
- Develop, create, enhance or improves training materials for existing and new programs as needs are determined
- Deliver Continuous Improvement training curriculum for Green Belts, Black Belts, Champions and other key business roles
- Transfer best practices, techniques, procedures and tools to peers and other Continuous Improvement teams Maintain state-of-the-art expertise in business improvement methodology, tools and techniques Skills and Capabilities (Leadership, Technical, Core):
Excellent interpersonal and communication skills that facilitate successful large scale change
Proven ability to influence and provide strategic advisement at the most senior levels
Builds effective networks Internal and External Contacts/Customers:
This role will report to the Continuous Improvement MBB Director, who in turn reports to the VP, Continuous Improvement who is an integral member of the SPP leadership team. Budget Responsibility:
- GPVPs, GPDs, GPMs, GPLs and GPT members
- Leadership Teams (e.g. GMD; Medi R&D, SPP, RDI and Innovative Medicines)
- External experts in continuous improvement
- Functional support organisations, IT, HR, Finance, Comms Reporting Relationship:
As deployed by VP CI or Director MBBs Minimum Requirements --Education and Experience
- Accredited to MBB level
- Scientific, Medical or Engineering or similar degreed
- In depth knowledge of Continuous Improvement tools and techniques and their application
- Relevant experience in pharmaceutical/medical industry or related industry
- Proven experience of leading complex, cross-functional improvement projects
- Good knowledge of key processes across Discovery, Development & Commercial
- Experience in leading successful change
- Demonstrated track record of delivering significant business improvement
- Experience of delivering training Preferred Background:
- Minimum 5-10 years experience leading continuous improvement projects
- Minimum 1-2 years in business partner or consulting role
- Demonstrated leadership experience of continuous improvement project teams who are not direct reports
- Previous experience of cross-functional drug discovery and development gained as member of project team and/or; functional leadership team.
- Proven leadership skills in cross-functional, multi-national environment
- Expertise and ability to communicate with passion the value of continuous improvement tools, processes and practices as a means to optimise and continually improve business delivery
AstraZeneca - 2 years ago
AstraZeneca Pharmaceuticals (which does business as AstraZeneca US) can help with a full alphabet of ailments. The company, a subsidiary of...