Under the supervision of the Library Chief Technology Officer, manages, and monitors the design, development, implementation, and communication of policies and practices for a sub-unit within the Library Information Technology department that supports the Yale University Library. Manages a team of Desktop Support technicians responsible for delivering expert, efficient, and cordial computing support to the Library’s staff, as well as some specialized patron systems. Manages the desktop, laptop, and mobile computing environment for the Library. Recruits, trains, and manages a staff of Macintosh, Windows, and Mobile OS technical professionals responsible for providing service and support. Coordinates with Yale ITS on computing infrastructure issues as needed. Manages a $375K+ equipment budget including a bi-annual equipment request cycle. Works on special projects as assigned.
Workstation and Technology Services is a tier 1, 2, & 3 support organization focused on interacting with Library customers on a daily basis. We are the first point of contact for many IT services and our emphasis is on enhancing the productivity of our customers by providing service as reliably and efficiently as possible. We are committed to providing a reliable and secure computing infrastructure. Our primary objectives include providing great customer service and improving customer satisfaction.
Department URL Address:
Click here for more information
1. Reviews and determines staffing needs, job posting requirements, salary guidelines, and labor agreement interpretations for exempt and non-exempt staff in one or more functional department of the University.
2. Manages the administrative support needs for exempt and nonexempt staff and provides recommendations, improvements, solutions and assistance as needed.
3. Manages and monitors technology needs, conducts inventory, and system requirements for the assigned departments.
4. Develops and prepares budgets, financial forecasts, and financial analyses and the actual vs. budgeted performance reports for the departments.
5. Manages the use of facilities in one or more departments including office space, work stations, equipment, and office supplies.
6. Manages administrative support for activities of one or more departments to ensure timely completion of projects.
7. Manages and coordinates training sessions for assigned departments when new policies or practices are adopted.
8. Ensures compliance with University and federal regulations as they apply to the assigned departments.
9. Identifies, plans, and develops administrative policies for the assigned departments.
10. Assists in reviewing and implements University and departmental policies as they pertain to the administrative functions of the assigned department.
11. Assesses and makes recommendations regarding staff development and staffing levels.
12. Monitors, develops, plans, and executes systematic research on user requirements through such mechanisms as surveys, interviews, focus groups and competitive analysis.
13. Manages a staff of exempt and non-exempt employees.
14. May perform other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience
Bachelor’s Degree in related field and 5 years of experience or an equivalent combination of education and related experience.
Required Skill/Ability 1:
Demonstrated ability to manage, mentor, and develop staff, including technical areas. Demonstrated exceptional customer service skills. Demonstrated ability to motivate and mobilize a team around shared goals. Demonstrated project management skills.
Required Skill/Ability 2:
Advanced skills with contemporary desktop computing technology, including Mac, Windows, Unix, and Mobile OS, hardware and software applications.
Required Skill/Ability 3:
In depth ability with Active Directory and its components: implementing group policy, managing computers, organizational units, users, groups, profiles, software management, and deployment.
Required Skill/Ability 4:
Comprehensive, expert-level ability with desktop operating environments.
Required Skill/Ability 5:
Demonstrated ability with SQL databases and administering SQL databases.
Preferred Education, Experience and Skills:
1. Management experience in a higher education environment.
2. Demonstrated knowledge of BigFix Relevance.
3. Experience with VBScript, Visual Basic, Visual Studio, and Windows Software Development Kit.
Preferred Licenses or Certifications:
ITIL Foundations, Service Now, Microsoft Certifications.
Weekend Hours Required?
Evening Hours Required?
Background Check Requirements
All external candidates for employment will be subject to pre-employment background screening for this position, which may include motor vehicle and credit checks based on the position description and job requirements. All offers are contingent on successful completion of a background check. Please visit www.yale.edu/hronline/careers/screening/faqs.html for additional information on the background check requirements and process.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the essential functions that will be required of the position and should not be construed as a declaration of specific duties and responsibilities of the particular position. Employees will be assigned specific job-related duties through their hiring departments.
What do former President George W. Bush and actress Meryl Streep have in common? They are Yalies. Yale University is one of the...