Compliance and control of M&R programs, repairs and recommended services of pool, depot and rail pool chassis as directed. Work with terminal staff and M&R vendors to provide our customers with safe, reliable equipment, in full compliance with all regulations.
- Perform pre, during and post repair quality control inspections of chassis. Perform required vendor audits, repair approvals, reports, measure progress and follow-up at the locations as dispatched including port pools, depots and rail ramp pools on a timely basis.
- Perform required vendor audits, reports, measure progress and follow-up in support of the assigned M&R policy & procedures.
- Assist in chassis operations within a yard or facility including gate inspection supervision, driver assistance, scheduling repairs, vendor quality control and day to day operation.
- Manage road repair program and returns in accordance with current policy and procedure.
- Reduce costs by constantly reviewing estimates for efficient repairs, correct tariff times, parts pricing and repair procedures as well as issue repair approvals, repair holds or “other” as needed.
- Accurately determine and submit terminal claims for chassis damages.
- Inventory management: interact with operations department in the repositioning and control as required to maintain proper inventory levels. Perform inventories as directed.
- Oversee and manage tire, warrantee and any other corporate programs at assigned pools and depots and in conjunction with staff and/or vendor personnel.
- Reviewing and approve repair invoices via EDI and manually where appropriate.
- Maintain daily and/or weekly operational reports designed to manage and illustrate pace of repairs and or equipment status.
- Oversee on and off-hire surveys of chassis, verification of customer hired surveyors’ results and/or joint inspections with customer supplied surveyors when directed.
- Negotiate with vendors to ensure best possible rates are attained.
- Oversee and help further control various programs and/or any project work including scrap and warrantee work supervision.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, and Qualifications
- Attend departmental meetings.
- Maintain relationships with vendors and suppliers.
Special Position Requirements
- Minimum 2 years Intermodal experience and knowledge of industry with an understanding of maintenance requirements for intermodal equipment
- IICL Chassis certification a plus
- Must have a valid driver’s license, and pass a background check
- Must be able to perform “walk-around” inspection of chassis, as well as using a crawler to check brakes and axles
- Must be able to lift and move truck tires
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Proficient with Microsoft Office (Word and Excel)
- Flexibility to quickly adapt to change
- Ability to excel in a fast paced and dynamic work environment
- Excellent attention to detail
- Must be able to multi-task and work independently as well as contribute to the overall success of the team
- Must comply with OSHA regulations and specific location safety policies and procedures.
- Bi-lingual Spanish a plus.
- Ability to travel as required using air and ground transport modes
- On occasion, must be able to lift up to 80 pounds without assistance.
- Must be able to stand for long periods of time.
- Must be able to move from location to location throughout the day.
- Frequent bending, kneeling, and crawling necessary.
- Must be able to work flexible hours including Saturdays
- Must have a bias for action and results.
- Ability to acquire a TWIC and a RailSafe ID card
- Ability to pass IICL tests
- Ability to operate motor vehicles in all locations
- Ability to walk, climb, bend and stoop to properly inspect intermodal equipment
- This job function is performed in a constantly changing environment including but not limited to an office setting, container terminals, rail road ramps, repair depots, repair garages and unpaved lots exposed to the elements requiring significant safety precautions and safety gear. These locations are not temperature controlled and are typically dusty, dirty and hazardous.
- Considerable exposure to truck traffic, loud noise and a dusty environment.
- Tempo is fast-paced with stringent deadlines.
TRAC Intermodal - 2 years ago