SUMMARY OF ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
As a level one Field Service Engineer, this individual must be team oriented and flexible, and actively seek to share information and assist his peers. Possesses solid communication skills, both oral and written. Demonstrates strong electronic repair troubleshooting methodology and maintains at least an intermediate technical level of product knowledge. Ability to read and follow electrical/mechanical schematics to assist in isolating fault to root cause component/assembly. Cross trains on products serviced in the field, and displays proficiency in servicing both the Trace and X-Ray product line. Willingness to work on special projects, some of high visibility, as assigned. Looks for common-mode problem occurrences and seeks to resolve, both independently and with the aid of others. Has a working knowledge of business PC applications (MS Word, Excel & Power Point) and able to effectively use them to provide clear, concise information summaries as needed.
Troubleshoots, services, installs (deploys) and repairs both Trace and X-Ray equipment at customer sites. Maintains field service log and filing system to properly initiate, organize and maintain all field service and job files until work is completed. When not on travel, individual will provide assistance to the Technical Support staff. Demonstrates initiative and dedication through positive use of downtime and an overall willingness and eagerness to consistently exceed customer and company requirements. Conducts follow up calls with the customer to ensure satisfaction of work.
SPECIFIC DUTIES, ACTIVITIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
• Responsible for meeting daily service repair needs and driving customer satisfaction
• Installs, repairs and maintains equipment in the field; provides customer training as required.
• Documents all inspections, maintenance, repair work and submits paperwork in a timely basis
• Order, install, and return parts and manages repair parts cycle time
• Reviews all logs for open issues and prepares formal reports to customers as necessary.
• Participates in Service Sales opportunities and assists with promoting and implementing revenue programs.
• Ensures that tools and test equipment are properly maintained and calibrated
• Assesses product/equipment performance based on field support data; recommends modifications or improvements.
• Seeks to provide technical support to customers and other service professionals as required.
• May participate in site surveys, pilot program service activities, attend meetings, champion special projects and prepare exclusive reports.
• Possesses a solid level of technical knowledge on the company’s Trace and X-Ray technologies.
• Maintains clear and concise business communication proficiency, both oral and written
• Establishes and maintains a close relationship with senior level FSE’s and Product Managers in order to support the needs of the customer and remain aware of current technical trends.
• Exercises every available measure to control and minimize costs.
• Travel, overtime and work hours other than Monday-Friday may be required.
• Comply with and ensure department compliance with Company health, safety and environmental policies.
• Comply with all applicable U.S. export control and security regulations.
• Other duties as required.
Education/Training: Associate’s Degree/Related Trade Certification (electrical, electronic, mechanical)/Military Training (electrical, mechanical, electronics). Equivalence achieved through comparative work and life experience is acceptable (
>3 years work experience in a related electrical or mechanical field service role). Computer literacy; competency in use of all programs within MS Office Suite and aptitude for learning specialized software programs.
Experience: Minimum of 2 years experience directly involved in troubleshooting and field repair of electrical and electronic systems and equipment.
Knowledge/Skills: Individuals shall possess excellent communications skills and have a strong orientation for customer focus and teamwork. Must be responsive to all customer issues at all times. Must be willing & able to travel at short notice.
Supervises: While supervision is not considered a primary responsibility of this position, there may be instances where supervision of others on a project basis may be required
Background: Must be able to pass an in depth background check (vetting).
• Possess excellent organizational, communication, interpersonal skills with the ability to multi task several projects at once.
• Excellent customer service skills and the ability to handle stressful situations.
• Self-motivated, reliable, and accountable individual
• Possess excellent telephone skills
• Ability to lift item up to 50 lbs. unassisted
Work environment is typically considered to be off-site, wherever the customer of concern is located. Service will typically be rendered at airports, correctional facilities, courthouses, cruise ships or other locations as required.
Smiths Detection - 12 months ago
copy to clipboard