The National Guard is the oldest component of the Armed Forces of the United States. Since the earliest American colonial days, citizens have joined together for collective defense. We have a proud tradition of coming to the aid of our friends and neighbors in times of serious emergencies. Join our National Guard team and serve your nation, your States and your community!
NATIONAL GUARD MEMBERSHIP IS REQUIRED: This is an excepted position that requires membership in a compatible military assignment in the National Guard. Selectee will be required to wear the military uniform. Acceptance of an excepted position constitutes concurrence with these requirements as a condition of employment.
- Military membership in the Guam Army National Guard is mandatory.
- Must be in the military grade of O1 to O4.
- Position required travel: Some, 1 to 5 days.
SUMMARY OF MAJOR DUTIES: This position is located in the Army Comptroller Division in the US Property and Fiscal Office. The primary purpose of this position is to serve as a Staff Accountant. Performs detailed reviews and analysis of established procedures and ensures that the administration and operation of financial control systems -- to include budget, accounting, payroll, accounts payable, and travel -- are in compliance with established statutory requirements, regulations, directives, and policies.
JOB RELATED QUALIFICATIONS AND EVALUATION: (if your resume does not include a narrative description of how you meet the GENERAL and SPECIALIZED experiences, you may lose consideration for this position. Ensure you complete the Questionnaire on the Application Manager.) Applicant must clearly identify minimum requirements, specialized job related experience and number of
months. Include your civilian and military experience in separate blocks to include duty codes, pay grades and description of major duty assignments. Uniformed service may be credited as full-time experience when evaluated against the qualification requirements for a military technician position. Experience must be directly related to the position and must be described in the work experience section of the application. The level of experience will be determined by the actual duties and responsibilities performed.
A. Degree: accounting; or a degree in a related field such as business administration, finance, or public administration that included or was supplemented by 24 semester hours in accounting. The 24 hours may include up to 6 hours of credit in business law. OR
B. Combination of education and experience -- at least 4 years of experience in accounting, or an equivalent combination of accounting experience, college-level education, and training that provided professional accounting knowledge. The applicant's background must also include one of the following:
1. Twenty-four semester hours in accounting or auditing courses of appropriate type and quality. This can include up to 6 hours of business law;
2. A certificate as Certified Public Accountant or a Certified Internal Auditor, obtained through written examination; or
3. Completion of the requirements for a degree that included substantial course work in accounting or auditing, e.g., 15 semester hours, but that does not fully satisfy the 24-semester-hour requirement of paragraph A, provided that (a) the applicant has successfully worked at the full-performance level in accounting, auditing, or a related field, e.g., valuation engineering or financial institution examining; (b) a panel of at least two higher level professional accountants or auditors has determined that the applicant has demonstrated a good knowledge of accounting and of related and underlying fields that equals in breadth, depth, currency, and level of advancement that which is normally associated with successful completion of the 4-year course of study described in paragraph A; and (c) except for literal non conformance to the requirement of 24 semester hours in accounting, the applicant's education, training, and experience fully meet the specified requirements.
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE: Experience in reviewing program documents as well as previous audit reports to determine compliance with governing regulations; identifying unusual and questionable practices; developing and reporting an opinion on the economy and efficiency of the operations and recommending corrective action.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES (KSA'S):
1. Professional and comprehensive knowledge of the theories, practices, methods, and concepts of accounting techniques.
2. Skill in applying this knowledge to conduct on-site reviews designed to identify policy, procedural and situational weaknesses and strengths of each functional area; and to modify and adapt conventional accounting and analytical techniques to solve a variety of accounting problems within the Comptroller Division.
3. Knowledge of applicable laws, policies, and regulations and internal control programs to ensure that review coverage is appropriate in meeting established objectives.
4. Knowledge of Army National Guard and state financial management objectives, missions, policies and systems, and their relationship with national and local organizational elements, to advise the Financial Manager on a wide range of financial management issues.
5. Knowledge to independently plan and conduct functional area reviews and the ability to gather, organize, consolidate analyze accounting data, and separate essential from non-essential information.
6. Ability to develop findings and/or reports that clearly identify operational problems and trends; and develop alternatives or solutions to resolve conflicting goals and objectives.
MILITARY REQUIREMENTS: Selected candidates will be required to be in a compatible military grade and assignment prior to the effective date of placement.
Military Grades: Officer, O1 - O4
Compatible Military Assignments: Officer; 36A, 36B
NOTES TO APPLICANTS:
a. Cost of living allowances (COLA) vary from employing States and is authorized only for those general schedule employees entitled to such allowances. COLA is subject to change without notice.
b. Situations of inversion of military rank are not permitted, i.e., a military technician may not be militarily senior to his or her full-time supervisor.
c. The compatible military duty assignment listed is broad in scope and does not mean that such military assignments are authorized/vacant. The selecting official reserves the right to select the most compatible and available military assignment. Unless otherwise stipulated in this announcement, such military assignment must be in the same unit by which employed (or a unit that is supported by the employing activity).
d. Applicants will be screened and evaluated on military attributes directly related to the compatible military position required for appointment. Areas include military bearing and appearance, leadership, teamwork, military environment and fitness, awards and decorations. These areas will be evaluated as it relates to the whole person concept. Final selection will be based on qualification, military attributes, and suitability and the best qualified individual for appointment to the federal government.
e. Final selection will be based upon qualifications, suitability, and available manpower resources.
f. This employer will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with information from each new employee's Form I-9 to confirm work authorization.
g. Participation in direct deposit is mandatory. h. If you are a male applicant who was born after 12/31/59 and are required to register under the Military Selective Service Act, the Defense Authorization Act of 1986 requires that you be registered or you are not eligible for appointment in this agency.
i. Veteran's preference does not apply to National Guard Technician positions in accordance with Title 32 USC 709(f).
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Once the application process is complete, a review of your application will be made to ensure you meet the job requirements. To determine if you are qualified for this job, a review of your resume and supporting documentation will be made and compared against your responses to the occupational questionnaire. The rating you receive is based on your responses to the questionnaire and supporting documents. If, after reviewing your resume and or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and or experience, your score can and will be adjusted to more accurately reflect your abilities. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating.
Explore the major benefits offered to most federal employees: http://www.opm.gov/insure/new_employ/index.asp
Please do not send/fax/courier/email any applications or resumes to the National Guard Human Resource Office, you must apply on-line or fax your application to the fax number listed on this announcement with the prescribed Cover Letter. The Human Resource can only process materials received through USA Jobs.
The Army is a key component of the U.S. Armed Forces, providing expeditionary land forces wherever and whenever they are required. Working...