Org Marketing Statement
Corning is the world leader in specialty glass and ceramics. We create and make keystone components that enable high-technology systems for consumer electronics, mobile emissions control, telecommunications and life sciences. Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, over 150 years of materials science and process engineering knowledge, and a distinctive collaborative culture.
Our products include glass substrates for LCD flat panel televisions, computer monitors and laptops; ceramic substrates and filters for mobile emission control systems; optical fiber, cable, hardware & equipment for telephone and internet communication networks; optical biosensors for drug discovery; and other advanced optics and specialty glass solutions for a number of industries including semiconductor, aerospace, defense, astronomy and metrology.
To know more about Corning, please visit us at www.corning.com
Department Marketing Statement
Corning's Specialty Materials is a leader in providing high performance materials and process capabilities of strategic necessity for targeted customers and the markets they serve -- semiconductors, lighting products and industrial materials.
Corning is a leading supplier of technologically advanced materials and customer-driven solutions for the ophthalmic industry and selected optics markets. Leveraging our revolutionary invention of glass photochromic eyeglass lens materials in the 1960s, we have expanded our product offering to include one of the world’s most technologically advanced plastic photochromic lenses.
Corning Semiconductor Optics is a leading world-class supplier of optical materials, high performance precision optics, optical-based metrology instruments and technical microlithography solutions for the semiconductor industry. Our core technical expertise lies in fused silica and fluoride crystals, materials and processing, optical-based metrology instrumentation, and high performance optics through Corning Tropel.
To know more about Corning's Specialty Materials Division, please visit us at: http://www.corning.com/products_services/other_products/specialty_materials.aspx
Scope of Position:
Day to Day Responsibilities:
- Provides subject matter expertise in thermal engineering that improves product, process and/or equipment performance (cost, quality and service) and/or advances the innovation process to enable the delivery of new products. Provides equipment solutions for increased process selects, increased material utilization, decreased costs, and improvement to product quality by planning, organizing and implementing projects. Designs and analyses first generation / next generation equipment in support of a new product / technology introduction. Maintains knowledge of the latest developments in their area of expertise in order to identify and document any intellectual property developed as part of a project. Focus is on Gorilla® glass and equipment/mechanical design.
- Design of process and equipment for glass forming utilizing heat transfer principles.
- Solving equipment and tooling design problems through the application of analytical tools and data analysis, including use of modeling tools in the fields of heat transfer, and solid mechanics.
- Provides general engineering and manufacturing skills and knowledge (understands theories and fundamentals), and capable of leading projects to get to root cause of issues, and put permanent solutions in place.
- Recommends and implements permanent solutions to long term performance issues, and improves existing and new technologies.
- Develop math models that simulate fundamental physics and apply them to solve process or product related issues.
- Identifies, justifies, and implements cost reduction, capacity enhancement, capital equipment and other improvement initiatives.
- Introduces new products and technologies.
- Meets all Environmental, Safety and Health requirements.
- Develops SME knowledge of material, process and/or equipment in focused areas of thermal engineering.
- Designs and/or specifies new equipment or modifies existing equipment to continuously improve process performance.
- Coordinates installation, debugging and initial operation of new equipment and systems.
- Capable of designing new equipment, fixtures, or systems using SolidWorks software.
Job Title: Thermal Engineer, Gorilla® Glass, Specialty Materials
- Able to travel extensively including overseas. Assignment could involve long term domestic or international assignments
Reference Number: 165825
Required Years Experience:
- Bachelor of Science in Materials or Mechanical Engineering or equivalent technical Degree with focus on Thermal Engineering
- Experience with glass technology (melting, forming, finishing, coating, etc.)
- Strong knowledge of mechanical design, heat transfer, and fluid mechanics.
- Ability to develop understanding of Corning’s technologies and processes quickly.
- Track record of delivering results.
- Experience with programming or numerical analysis of flow, structural, or thermal analysis. Relevant packages include Thermal Desktop, Fluent, ANSYS, COMSOL, and GOMA.
- Modeling experience in heat transfer
- Strong communications skills, ability to work with diverse technical team.
- Self motivated, flexible and committed to work ethic.
- Organized with good planning and time management skills.
- Experience in materials processing, particularly forming.
- CAD knowledge and experience especially Solidworks CAD design software.
- Learning on the fly
Corning - 3 years ago
Corning Incorporated is the world leader in specialty glass and ceramics. Drawing on more than 160 years of materials science and process...