Operates and maintains central heating plant systems and equipment.
- Operates biomass gasification plant for generation of 250 psi steam.
- Operates boilers and auxiliary equipment for generation of 125 psi and 250 psi steam.
- Operates steam-driven turbines and auxiliary equipment for 480 volt, 3 phase, power generation.
- Collects plant process data and logs throughout shift.
- Performs maintenance on equipment as required.
- Performs standard tests on water and steam condensate and chemically treats as needed.
- Follows procedures and safety rules as required. Implements lockout/tag-out and confined entry policies to comply with O.S.H.A.
- Receives # 6 oil deliveries at heating plant.
- Receives water treatment chemicals at heating plant.
- Must be flexible with work schedule. Plant operates 24/7/365. Weekends and holidays are included in work schedule.
- Must demonstrate initiative in heating plant operator training program, and pass all certifications.
- Must know spill prevention, control, and countermeasure process for heating plant.
- Works cooperatively with others and accepts direction from supervisors.
- Performs all duties in a safe and professional manner and in accordance with established Middlebury College and departmental policies and procedures.
- Performs other heating plant related responsibilities as necessary.
- May cross-train in other mechanical/electrical trade shops and support other Facilities Services department needs.
- Must be able to pass 15 passenger van license/certification.
- Fill in for heating plant supervisor as needed, including taking ‘on-call’ pager.
- Must know procedure for ordering # 6 oil and maintaining tank levels.
- Must know procedure for ordering wood chips and maintaining inventory.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Knowledge of college steam and electrical distribution systems. Basic math skills required. Proper cleaning, maintenance and inspection of boiler steam drums and fireside. Trouble shooting skills for heating plant electrical, steam, condensate, oil, feed water, propane, air systems and equipment. Maintenance skills for heating plant electrical, steam, condensate, oil, feed water, propane, air systems and equipment. Perform equipment vibration monitoring preventative maintenance. Continuous opacity monitoring systems: trouble shoot, repair, perform quarterly audits and calibrations. Relief valve sizing, testing and maintenance. Turbine generator maintenance. Understand heating plant factory mutual annual inspection process. Must have thorough understanding of combustion control systems. Ability to logically trouble-shoot equipment problems. Must be able to read gauges and thermometers.
Minimum 5 years experience required in boiler operation for 250 psi steam and turbine generator operation.
Must be physically able to lift 10 – 20 lbs. frequently and up to 80 lbs. occasionally. Must be able to push and pull up to 50 lbs. frequently. Requires long periods of time standing and frequent walking. Must be able to climb ladders on a daily basis. Requires frequent bending and squatting. May require overtime. Driver’s license required.
Middlebury College - 16 months ago