US GAAP Policy development and application within BP North America based in Houston, TX. |
Key tasks of the role will be:
• BP’s primary filing is under IFRS, but still prepares audited financials for BP America Inc. and BP Corporation North America Inc. Groups under US GAAP. In consultation with the BP America Controller, the US GAAP Policy Manager has ultimate accountability for the establishment and interpretation of policy under US GAAP
• To initiate, influence and recommend on the development of Group policy for new US GAAP accounting standards that affect the Segments and to promote their consistent application across the Function/businesses
• To embed existing Group policy with respect to US GAAP differences within relevant teams across the Segments and test the application thereof.
• To support the US External Reporting and other Segment control teams during the due diligence processes.
• To research and answer questions from controllers in the Segment on the application of US GAAP accounting policy in the Group Reporting Manual.
• To be the main interface between the Segments and the Group auditors on significant US GAAP policy matters.
• To support the Finance Faculty in developing and presenting US GAAP accounting policy training and supporting the delivery of the IFRS Group Accounting Policy course within NA and overseas as required.
• To support the statutory accounts process for US statutory accounts.
• To support Mergers & Acquisitions with policy issues on their projects when requested
• Key Interfaces
OB&C External Reporting Function/Business teams 60%
Mergers & Acquisitions transactional support 15%
External Audit, Internal Audit 10%
•Undergraduate Degree from an accredited university
Essential experience and job requirements
•Legally authorized to work in the United States
•Minimum 7 years progressive accounting experience
•Minimum 7 years’ experience providing preparation or audit of financial instruments accounting or/and annual financial statements (US GAAP or IFRS)
•Proficient Microsoft Excel skills
•Knowledge of application of US GAAP, financial consolidations, minority interests, joint ventures, and other ownership structures
•Ability to travel up to 25%
Other essential skills and knowledge
•Solid communication skills
•Ability to articulate complex issues and influence others at various levels of the organization
•Strong analytical and problem solving skills, inquisitive
• Strong impact, interpersonal and communication skills
• Ability to coach, challenge, and influence effectively
•Good business judgment in handling potentially sensitive financial issues
•Ability to manage multiple/conflicting priorities with a track record of delivery in a project setting
Desirable criteria & qualifications
• Advanced Degree
•Accounting experience with a Big 4 public accounting firm or a Fortune 500 company
•SEC Reporting Experience
•Knowledge of the Group consolidation system (ECCS) and SAP
• Expert in technical accounting for US GAAP and ideally a good working knowledge of IFRS
Yes - up to 25%
Is this a part time position?
Our business is the exploration, production, refining, trading and distribution of energy. This is what we do, and we do it on a truly global scale. With a workforce of nearly 100,000 employees, BP operates with business activities and customers in more than 100 countries across six continents. Every day, we serve millions of customers around the world. We are continually looking for talented, committed and ambitious people to help us shape the face of energy for the future.
The Finance Function fulfills three key activities: to report financial and operational results, both internally and externally, with independence and integrity; to support business performance management and planning processes by using consistent data collection and reporting processes; and to integrate financial and commercial processes to enable end to end optimization. Finance also supports the development of annual and long term plans, strategies and performance management processes as well as provides economic analysis and Group Investment Assurance and Approval Process (GIAAPS) support for business opportunities, investments and other specific projects as needed.
If you are selected for the position, your employment will be contingent upon submission to and successful completion of a post-offer/pre-placement drug and alcohol screening as well as pre-placement verification of the information and qualifications provided during the selection process.
BP is an equal opportunity employer
Corporate & Functions
23:59 (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time (US & Canada)
BP - 22 months ago
BP p.l.c. (BP) is an oil company, operating through its subsidiaries. With effect from January 1, 2008, it operated in two business...