At Universal North America, we don’t compromise. Neither should you.
Universal North America offers opportunity for professional growth, leadership development and promotion from within. All in an atmosphere that’s intensely challenging, yet fun and rewarding.
Every day, we promise to provide superior home and business insurance coverage for hundreds of thousands of customers throughout the country. But our promise is only as good as the people that make up our organization.
That’s why we invest heavily in our employees, never compromising when it comes to providing the tools they need to keep moving forward. And we’re committed to recruiting team members that are just as passionate about excellence as we are.
If you’re interested in more than a job, but rather an opportunity to be a part of a growing company and to work with the best and brightest in the insurance industry, please apply!
Job Title: Inside Claims Representative
Supervised by: Property Unit Manager
Handle 1st party Personal Insurance property claims. In addition, there are a wide variety of other causes of loss that may be handled. Claims may also involve lower severity building damage losses. The majority of claims will have financial exposure of less than $5,000, but can involve higher exposure depending on loss type and nature of the damaged property. Occasionally handles claims with additional complexities related to unique coverage and/or damage issues.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Handle 1st party PI claims of low to moderate severity and complexity as assigned.
- Investigate and evaluate all relevant facts to determine coverage, damages and liability of first-party property claims under a variety of policies.
- Review and analyze policy conditions, provisions, exclusions and endorsements pertinent to a variety of property losses.
- Obtain and analyze leases, contracts, by-laws and other relevant documents which may have an impact on the adjustment of losses.
- Establish timely and accurate claim and expense reserves.
- Determine settlement amounts based on independent judgment, estimation of actual cash value and replacement value, contractor estimate validation, appraisals, application of applicable limits and deductibles.
- Negotiate and convey claim settlements within authority limits to insureds.
- Write denial letters, Reservation of Rights and other complex correspondence to insured’s.
- Control damages through proper usage of cost containment tools.
- Meet all quality standards and expectations per Best Practices.
- Maintain an effective diary system and document claim file activities in accordance with established procedures.
- Manage file inventory to ensure timely resolution of cases.
- Handle files in compliance with state regulations, where applicable.
- Provide excellent customer service to meet the needs of the insured, agent and all other internal and external customers.
- Identify and refer claims that may have valued added by an outside field inspection.
- Determine cases that may have fraud potential and to refer claims to Special Investigations Unit.
- Identify potential for subrogation and refer appropriate claims to the Subrogation Unit.
- Perform any other duties as required.
- Occasional Catastrophe Duty, including other offices and states may be required.
Education and / or Experience:
- College Degree or equivalent business experience
- Strong verbal and written communications skills
- Must be able to work in a collaborative atmosphere
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Customer service orientation; empathy
- Demonstrated ownership attitude and customer centric response to all assigned tasks
- Solid analytical and decision making skills Licenses and / or certifications:
- Adjusters license (where applicable)