IT Project Manager
Information Technology Services & Security
Main Campus (Houghton, MI)
Full-Time Equivalent (1.0=100%)
Salary or Hourly Rate
Negotiable Based on Experience & Qualifications (No less than $50,000)
Position Duration Dependent on External Funding?
Title of Position Supervisor
Assistant Chief Technology Officer
Position Summary Information
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Job Description Summary
The IT Project Manager is responsible for management of activities, prioritizing and coordinating the delivery of multiple projects, communicating to Business and IT executive committees, as well as project teams, allocating resources across projects, and contributing to the ongoing refinement of project governance policies.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities (other duties may be assigned)
1. Design and implement processes and technology to execute IT project phases including Initiating, Planning, Executing, Controlling, and Closing.
2. Establish basic scope control procedures.
3. Define Information Technology project objectives, scope, and scheduling.
4. Monitor and control processes and project status.
5. Participate in process analysis, team building, leading and motivating, and conflict management activities.
6. Evaluate and communicate project and process performance progress on a regular basis.
7. Manage large technical projects, including planning, budgeting, and personnel direction.
8. Lead/work with campus-wide staff in implementation of campus-wide technical and procedural standards.
9. Initiate and maintain working relationships with project stakeholders across multiple business units.
10. Assist in the development and implementation of contingency plans.
11. Develop and manage the critical path of projects.
12. Develop project deliverables including a project plan, resource plan, communication plan, and project charter.
13. Balance resources across multiple projects.
14. Identify and track metrics.
15. Carry a cell phone and work flexible hours.
16. SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES : Functional supervision may be exercised over regular staff and student assistants.
Required Education (minimum requirements)
Bachelor’s degree or an equivalent combination of education and/or experience.
Required Experience (minimum requirements)
Three years professional experience with IT Project Management.
Demonstrated progressive professional experience in IT Project Management.
Desirable Education and/or Experience
Experience defining and following work breakdown structures.
Experience using scheduling tools ( CPM , PERT , Gantt).
Experience using Microsoft Project.
Experience using Helpdesk/Issue Management software.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and/or Abilities (minimum requirements)
Excellent communication and interpersonal skills related to complex IT topics.
Demonstrated organizational efficiency with the ability to work independently.
Demonstrated ability to continue to learn new and applicable software applications.
Demonstrated ability to diagnose technical problems and apply standard solutions.
Demonstrated willingness and ability to work flexible hours and carry a cell phone.
Demonstrated ability to contact vendors for technical solutions.
Demonstrated ability to create solutions and procedures for recurring problems.
Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively across cultural boundaries and work harmoniously with diverse groups of students, faculty, and staff.
Desirable Knowledge, Skills, and/or Abilities
Language, Mathematical, and/or Reasoning Skills
Work Environment and/or Physical Demands
Posting Detail Information
Internal & External Posting
Internal Posting Date
External Posting Date
Open Until Filled
Special Instructions to Applicants (if applicable)
Your reference list should include contact information for three (3) references.
Michigan Technological University - 21 months ago
copy to clipboard