PURPOSE AND SCOPE:
Utilizing subject matter expertise regarding kidney disease and treatment options, implements and coordinates all aspects of TOP (Treatment Options Program), a FMS pre-ESRD patient education program, within a designated region. Collaborates with the local management and facility staff to ensure that all pertinent patients have an opportunity to receive TOP education prior to initiating dialysis. TOP patient education includes an unbiased presentation of transplant, home therapies (PD and home hemodialysis), in-center therapy, and palliative care. Markets TOP to physicians, hospitals, and any potential referral source.
Supports FMCNA’s UltraCare mission by offering the highest quality individualized patient care and outstanding customer service for chronic kidney disease patients educated through TOPs. Adheres to the FMCNA Compliance Program, including following all regulatory and division/company policy requirements.
DUTIES / ACTIVITIES :
- Responsible for driving the FMS culture through values and customer service standards.
- Accountable for outstanding customer service to all external and internal customers.
- Develops and maintains effective relationships through effective and timely communication.
- Takes initiative and action to respond, resolve and follow up regarding customer service issues with all customers in a timely manner.
PRINCIPAL RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
- Establishes and implements TOP for a designated region coordinating with local Director Operations or Area Manager to ensure all pre-ESRD (stages 3 and 4)patients have access to TOP education prior to reaching stage 5 chronic kidney disease (CKD). Education includes basic information regarding options for renal replacement therapy for when patient reaches end stage renal disease thus allowing patient to make an informed decision regarding determining the option that meets his/her medical needs and lifestyle choices.
- Collaborates with the Director Operations or Area Manager to identify and designate area TOP team members.
- Conducts TOP group education utilizing prepared materials, or coordinates with TOP team members to deliver the group education. On a case by case basis, may provide individual TOP classes as the need arises. Ensures that all education provided in group and individual TOP classes are objective and free from bias with respect to all renal replacement therapies.
-Determines team members’ roles in TOP education class and trains new TOP team members (RN, SW, RD, MD, PCT) as needed in their role as it relates to TOP;
-May conduct all or part of an education class and/or individual educational session, gathering and submitting data, patient follow-up, and communication with referral source.
-Responsible for choice of educational materials to be utilized for TOP education classes and individual sessions. Obtains Medical Director approval of materials. Orders and distributes TOP materials to area TOP.
-Coordinates an extended service to geographically remote facilities within the designated region by working with the facility staff – Clinical Manager, Social Worker and Dietitian – to provide the opportunity for TOP education for all patients.
-Develops the monthly class schedule and ensures appropriate and timely posting on the UltraCare website.
- Participates in monthly TOP department calls and provides feedback to Corporate Director of TOP in regard to recommendations of new materials and program improvement.
- Responsible for all patient follow up and/or coordination of all patient follow up with TOP team members at the 30-90-180 day thresholds.
-Oversees the appropriate documentation, and communication of follow up activities to referring physicians.
-Communicates with referral sources regarding patient attendance at TOP sessions and follow up communications.
- Responsible for all TOP data collection providing oversight and training of other TOP team members in data collection and submission as needed.
-Ensures appropriate data input into SAP (TOP database) verifying data for accuracy as applicable
-Ensures applicable maintenance and updating of data in database.
-Performs analyses of all TOP related data statistics and reports back regarding findings to TOP team members.
-Identifies trends, variances and anomalies as needed.
-May research issues and make recommendations to TOP team or Director as a result of the analyses.
- Provides reports and analyses to DO/AM regarding outcomes of program. Identifies areas of success and problems or concerns to be addressed pertaining to the program. Analyzes and reports data as needed for Quality Assessment & Improvement (QAI) purposes.
- Coordinates efforts with DO/AM in analysis of local market to explore and prioritize TOP development opportunities to ensure program growth, utilization and effectiveness.
-Markets FMS TOP services to physicians and encourages patient referrals within guidelines established by company policies and government regulations.
-Contacts and communicates with all nephrologists and/or nephrology groups within region on a monthly basis to assess physician issues, concerns, and requests, and to provide feedback on patients seen within the program.
-Provides TOP related educational programs to physicians as needed.
-Maintains knowledge of FMC Treatment Options Program services, promotional materials, and industry educational resources in order to effectively market TOP to physicians and the community.
-Establishes relationship with local renal organizations and affiliates to optimize opportunities for FMS participation in community outreach programs and activities. Examples are: National Kidney Foundation (NKF), American Association Kidney Patients (AAKP)
- Provides TOP information to local FMS facility staff members and affiliated Medical Directors
- Evaluates outcomes of local program. Addresses issues identified, explores and implements improvement opportunities.
- May collaborate with Renal Care Coordinators (RCC) to deliver TOPs education to patients followed by the RCC.
- May collaborate with the Managers of Business Development (MBDs) to provide TOPs education to patients followed by the MBD.
- Other duties as assigned.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Day to day work includes desk and personal computer work and interaction with patients, facility staff and physicians.
The position requires travel between assigned facilities and various locations within the community. Travel to regional, division and corporate meetings may be required. The work environment is characteristic of a health care facility with air temperature control and moderate noise levels. May be exposed to infectious and contagious diseases/materials.
- RN, MSW, RD, BSW
- Preferable certification in renal area of expertise ( CNN, LSW, CRD)
EXPERIENCE AND REQUIRED SKILLS
- Minimum of 3-5 years in a renal healthcare position as RN, MSW, RD, BSW.
- Knowledge of and/or willingness to learn all renal replacement modalities (transplant, home therapies, in-center therapy, palliative care) without bias
- Strong interpersonal and presentation skills
- Strong leadership skills and desire to motive others
- Basic computer skills and knowledge
- Ability to build strong collaborative relationships with physicians and renal community
Fresenius Medical Care - 12 months ago
Fresenius Medical Care North America (FMCNA) operates a network of more than 1,800 dialysis clinics located throughout the US. One of the...