Gas Distribution Designer-26156
Xcel Energy has an opportunity for a Designer at our Service Center in Newport, MN. Candidates for this opportunity will be considered for the Associate Designer and Designer levels.
The Distribution Designer acts as a primary contact for residential and/or commercial customers for electrical distribution construction or re-construction projects. This role will be responsible for providing design services from project initiation to completion. Responsibilities of this role include meeting with customers in the field to determine customer needs, developing cost-effective design solutions utilizing GIS and Expert Design (ED) technology, and communicating with other cross-functional areas of the business to ensure project progression. This position requires the ability to handle multiple design projects simultaneously and to build effective working relationships with internal and external customers. This position has a direct impact on safety, system operation, financial results, system reliability, and customer satisfaction.
This is an entry level design position that provides new and existing commercial, industrial, residential, and internal customers with distribution design project management for the least complex areas of design. The primary responsibility of this position is to function as the primary contact for future and existing customers by providing cost effective designs that balance customers' needs in accordance with Xcel Energy Services standards and administrative guidelines. Provide work direction for construction personnel and act as the liaison between the construction department and customers. This position has a direct impact on safety, system operation, financial results, reliability, and customer satisfaction. May be subject to on-call duties.
- Design facilities for new and existing customers according to Xcel Energy Distribution construction standards and interpret administrative instructions for consistent and cost effective designs. Provide distribution design project management for the least complex areas of design. Responsible for the generation of additional company revenue through contacts with new business or existing customers.
- Manage projects from initial customer contact through post project analysis. Establish and manage the construction work plan with construction forces in order to meet the customers' schedule and design requirements as well as financial and budgetary requirements.
- Obtain permits and easements for facilities in accordance with city ordinances, state, federal, and county agencies as required. Execute contracts and agreements in compliance with administrative instructions and regulatory requirements.
- Promote a safe work environment and design a safe operating system while providing premier customer service. Support and promote Xcel Energy safety programs, including monitoring public safety around Xcel Energy facilities.
- Represent the Company with government officials, contractors, city agencies, vendors, architects, and engineers to provide service to customers.
At Xcel Energy, our customers' quality of life depends on the energy we provide. Every time they flip a switch or turn a dial, they tap into the energy of over 12,000 people working to make life better. As a leading combination electricity and natural gas energy company, Xcel Energy offers a comprehensive portfolio of energy-related products and services to 3.4 million electricity and 1.9 million natural gas customers.
Xcel Energy has become a leader in the energy industry by demonstrating excellence in environmental performance. Our environmental commitment includes improving air quality, conserving resources, harnessing renewable energy, and protecting wildlife and habitats.
Xcel Energy's vitality comes from our people. It takes professionals in engineering, customer service, linemen, marketing and sales professionals, energy traders, mechanics, finance and accounting professionals and many others to power our company. We offer competitive compensation and benefit programs that include a range of options and coverage levels.
Requirements (Associate Designer level)
- High school diploma or equivalent
- 2-year technical degree (3 years distribution design, construction, or related field providing equivalent knowledge may substitute for the degree)
- 2 years experience in distribution design or related field providing equivalent knowledge
- Knowledge of construction standards, materials, and technical codes
- Successful completion of established Skill-Based Training Program
- Valid driver's license and vehicle
- May be drug tested randomly as prescribed by the Department of Transportation
- May be placed on site team duty rotation and subject to after-hours call out
Primary Location: MN-Newport
- Working knowledge of GIS and other design related applications
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office suite
Union Position: Non-Bargaining
Xcel Energy is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Xcel Energy - 17 months ago
Xcel Energy has accelerated its energy engine in utility markets across the US. The utility holding company distributes electricity to 3.4...