Earth Networks is seeking a Senior Database Administrator to work out of our Germantown, MD office. The candidate selected for this position will be in charge of a complex network of database servers required to run a 24x7x365 enterprise.
- Work with the product development team to refine new products for proper database scalability and reliability in deployment
- Design and document current database and database cluster architecture
- Architect upgrade of current database clusters to a higher reliability new technology platform
- Build database schemas, tables, procedures and permissions
- Set up data sharing and disk partitioning
- Develop database utilities and automated reporting
- Create shell scripts for task automation
- Create, test and execute data management languages
- Monitor systems and platforms for availability and performance, tune and tweak for improved performance
- Oversee backup, clustering, mirroring, replication and failover
- Restore and recover corrupted databases
- Install and test upgrades and patches
- Implement security and encryption
- Provide 24/7 support as required for critical problem resolution
- Evaluate and recommend new database technologies
- 6+ years of progressive, high reliability database operations experience
- Microsoft certification (MCDBA, MCTS : SQL, MCSA, MCITP, MCM : SQL, MCA or other certification relevant to this job description)
- SQL Server 2000, 2005 and 2008 experience required. MySQL experience beneficial.
- Expertise with setup, administration. and optimization of SQL Server clustering and replication.
- Comprehensive Windows Server operating system administration skills.
- Experience with Linux required
- Ability to interact with clients in a professional, articulate manner
- Strong written and verbal communications skills
- Proven ability to work with developers, testers, and other ops engineers through the product lifecycle
- Able to learn and adapt to new technologies through self-directed training