Reporting directly to the Director of Health Promotion, this position is responsible for the development and presentation of educational programs and materials related to the mental health and wellness of LIUNA members and their families. Incumbent serves as the in-house expert on mental health, addiction, and chronic disease, and how members can achieve sustainable and healthy behavior change. Incumbent possess strong writing skills for contributions to organizational periodicals and knowledge of social media. Incumbent provides technical support and assistance to LIUNA health and welfare funds and signatory contractors. Incumbent interacts with Division staff to develop materials to meet the directives and objectives of the Fund, as well as interacting with affiliated union bodies (locals, district councils and regions), training centers, health funds and membership in promoting and advancing LHSFNA initiatives and Division programs.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: As shown below. (Other related duties may be assigned.)
- Develops policies and strategies for promoting health at the local, regional or national level.
- Raises awareness and educates members and leadership through program development on a number of issues including mental health, chronic illness and tobacco cessation.
- Conducts research on mental health, chronic disease and related topics; monitors trends and factors affecting costs and utilization. Converts that information into easily presented and understandable health messages.
- Maintains a strong knowledge of current rules, regulations, and laws issued by Federal, state, and local agencies; reviews and evaluates legislative changes in legal requirements that may impact LIUNA funds and affiliates.
- Assists LIUNA health and welfare funds, district councils, local unions, and other constituents in the planning and coordination of health fairs. Arranges for health fair providers as needed.
- Develops health and wellness information to be utilized by signatory contractors and local unions on jobsites.
- Interacts with professional organizations, representatives, and community service agencies for purposes of disseminating information, programs and services available to LIUNA affiliates.
- Represents the Fund at meetings, functions and professional organizations as appropriate.
- Promotes the services of the Fund to LIUNA constituency. Works with other Division staff with respect to coordinating Fund activities with health and welfare funds, training centers, district councils and local unions.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Strong spoken and written communication skills
- A demonstrated ability to affect change
- Good organizational and time management skills
- Project management skills
- Good research and analytical skills
- Experience in preparation and evaluation of request for proposals and selection of service providers
- Self-starter, motivation and perseverance
- Social media knowledge preferred
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree from accredited college or university in Public Health, Occupational Health, or related discipline; At least 3-5 years of related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Specific experience working in the construction industry and dealing with labor organizations is highly desirable. Knowledge of Taft-Hartley funds, ERISA and COBRA is helpful.
- Labor and/or union background or knowledge is a plus.
- Must be proficient with MS Office including powerpoint.
Indeed - 2 years ago