- Under general supervision and following established and detailed procedures sets up area for service. Serves food and beverage items, rings them into computer cash register system and receives cash or credit. Cleans the work area throughout service and cleans beverage machines according to schedule.. Maintains adequate supplies of food and non-food items in the service area. Maintains positive customer relations and impeccable appearance standards at all times.
- Assists customers in obtaining food services in a courteous and helpful manner. Promotes food sales. Responds to changes in service and guides fellow employees to adjust with changes of menu and service. Recommends cost and revenue changes in menu items based on customer trends.
- Set up and break down area for coffee service. Obtain pots, utensils, food and non-food items to the serving area prior to, during and/or after coffee service.
- Prepares food items, coffee, tea and assorted beverages and arranges equipment for service. Cleans related equipment, e.g. beverage & coffee machines, frozen yogurt machine, Panini machines, pizza oven, slicer, toaster, bakery cases, bagel racks, trucks, refrigerators, etc. after use utilizing the appropriate cleaning equipment and solutions.
- Serves food items, adhering to portion control and service standards to customers. Uses appropriate serving utensils such as knives, spoons, spatulas, tissue and wax paper.
- Maintains adequate supply of food items in the refrigerators, bakery cases and bagel racks and hot tables. Maintains adequate supply of non-food items in cabinets and under counters. Alerts manager if running low on an item.
- Closely observes safety, proper food handling storage and food temperature control procedures following department standards.
- Cuts, and trays food items from Bake Shop, wraps for storage or disposes of leftover food items according to established procedure.
- Cleans all preparation areas prior to, during and after service by washing walls, floors, counters, ceilings, doors, windows, signs, etc., by the use of cleaning solutions and sponges, cleaning cloths and the like. Cleans all equipment and participates in special cleaning.
- Receives, replenishes and/or stores all food and non food items in appropriate location within the service or storage areas. Use the first in first method of food usage.
- Follows department procedures as outlined in the cashier training manual.
- Will be asked to perform similar positions in Food Service areas, such as cashier in Riverside Café, Plaza Café or Eat Street, catering attendant, and sandwich prep.
- Other duties may be assigned based on the needs of the operation.
Must possess exceptional customer service skills
- Must be able to do basic mathematics, e.g. addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.
- 1-3 years of cashiering experience preferred.
Understanding of Food Safety and Sanitation Procedures
- Must be able to bend, stoop, reach and lift weights averaging 10 lbs. May lift weights up to 30 lbs.
- Works in an institutional kitchen environment where there is varying levels of temperature and noise.
- May stands for 100% of the workday.
- Must be able to negotiate in a cramped workspace.
- Immerses hands in soap, rinse and sanitizing solutions.
- Must be able to read, speak, write and understand English.
- Must be able to communicate with the public and have good customer relations’ skills.
- High school graduate or have the equivalent GED preferred
Massachusetts General Hospital
- 2 years ago - save job