Unum is a company of people serving people. As one of the world's leading employee benefits providers and a Fortune 500 company, Unum helps protect more than 25 million working people and their families in the event of illness or injury.
Headquartered in Chattanooga Tennessee, Unum has significant U.S. operations in Portland, Maine, Worcester, Massachusetts and Glendale, California with 35 field offices nationwide.
Unum offers world-class training and development, generous compensation and benefits packages, and a culture built on employee ideas.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensure that departmental standards pertaining to production, quality, timeliness and customer service are met
- Accurate identification and management of those files appropriate for further investigation or referral to other areas within Special Benefits including Settlements, Financial Management, Comprehensive Claims Unit, Core Claims Unit, DBS, etc.
- Effectively utilize specialty resources such as medical, vocational and legal to achieve optimum claims outcomes.
- Effectively manage claim to the appropriate duration
- Responsible for being familiar with specialized workflow requirements and performance standards for any assigned customers.
- Explain decision rationale and current claim activities accurately and thoroughly; both verbally and in writing, to claimants, employers and other constituents.
- Provides excellent customer service by providing processing benefit payments on a timely basis and responding to all inquiries on a timely basis.
- Maintains accurate and up-to-date activities for each assigned claim, and documents in a thorough, timely and accurate manner.
- Coordinate file strategies utilizing specialized resources including roundtables, nurses, physicians, vocational rehabilitation, etc. with direction from manager/DBS.
- Develops and maintains a good rapport with claimants, policyholders and field sales offices.
- Communicates technical information to claimants, other external customers as appropriate and field personnel regarding financial matters, contractual provisions, benefit calculations and offsets and claim practices.
- Thorough and timely investigation, documentation and analysis of disability claim decisions.
- Efficient and fair claim management in a high-risk legal environment.
- Render claim related decisions in accordance with our policies and procedures, quality and service standards with partnership and direction from management.
- May perform other duties as assigned.
Unum is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer regardless of a person's race, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, military status, gender or sexual orientation.
- College degree preferred
- Mathematical aptitude
- Detail oriented; able to analyze and research contract information
- PC skills are essential; ability to operate effectively in an imaged environment
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Proven experience in working with internal and external customers
- Demonstrated success in high stress and dynamic work environments
- Demonstrated critical thinking abilities
- Strong analytical and decision making skills
- Ability to organize and prioritize a high volume of daily work and ability to multi-task
- Ability to deal effectively with conflict in a professional manner
- Ability to negotiate
- Strong customer service orientation
- Ability and commitment to work as an effective team member toward shared goals.
- Strong organizational and time management skills with an ability to balance production with independent decision-making
- Demonstrated success in meeting goals in demanding and dynamic work environments
- Demonstrated ability to act with sense of urgency and manage multiple demands
- Meets the standards for the position as defined in the Talent Management Framework
Unum - 2 years ago