Job Title: Desktop Support Engineer
Job ID: 270452
Location: US-California-Santa Clara
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Day to Day Work
Unisys is a worldwide information technology company. We provide a portfolio of IT services, software, and technology that solves critical problems for clients. We specialize in helping clients secure their operations, increase the efficiency and utilization of their data centers, enhance support to their end users and constituents, and modernize their enterprise applications. To provide these services and solutions, we bring together offerings and capabilities in outsourcing services, systems integration and consulting services, infrastructure services, maintenance services, and high-end server technology. With approximately 23,000 employees, Unisys serves commercial organizations and government agencies throughout the world.
Primarily responsible for providing on-site tier 2 support of assigned Service Desk tickets, maintenance for the desktop computing environment, and end user satisfaction of the desktop systems. This includes installing, diagnosing, repairing, maintaining, and upgrading all desktop hardware, software, and equipment to ensure optimal workstation performance. Additional responsibilities include IMACD and Smart Hands support for the Data Center and infrastructure as well as backup of Service Desk activities detailed in the Service Desk SOW Project responsibility for projects requiring technician assistance. This position requires a self-motivated, flexible and dependable team player with the ability to adapt to flexible work hours.
Other duties as required.
- Operations Management
- Perform onsite analysis, diagnosis, and resolution of complex desktop problems for end users, and recommend and implement corrective solutions
- Install, configure, test, maintain, monitor, and troubleshoot end-user workstations and related hardware and software in order to deliver required desktop service levels.
- Assess the need for and implement performance upgrades to PC boxes, including the installation of CPUs, I/O and NIC cards, hard disks, ribbon cables, hard drives, RAM, memory chips, CD-ROMs, and so on.
- Collaborate with LAN technicians/network administrators to ensure efficient operation of the desktop computing environment.
- Where required, administer and resolve issues with associated end-user workstation networking software products.
- Receive and respond to incoming calls, pages, and/or e-mails regarding desktop problems.
- Answer to and perform install, move, add, and change (IMAC) requests as they are submitted by line managers.
- Ensure that physical desktop connections (i.e. RJ-45 Ethernet jacks, RJ-11 telephone modem jacks, connectors between PCs and servers, etc.) are in proper working order.
- Prepare tests and applications for monitoring desktop performance, then provide performance statistics and reports.
- Assist in preparing, maintaining, and upholding procedures for logging, reporting, and statistically monitoring desktop operations.
- Develop and maintain an inventory of all desktops, laptops, monitors, keyboards, hard drives, modems, network cards, and other components and equipment.
- Accurately document instances of desktop equipment or component failure, repair, installation, and removal.
- If necessary, liaise with third-party support and PC equipment vendors.
- Maintain and update the desktop environment Definitive Software Library (DSL)
- Assist with Smart Hands support for Data Center and infrastructure as needed.
- Provide project support as needed.
- Assignments range in complexity from basic troubleshooting and repair to complex problems and device repair.
- Customer Interface
- Excellent customer support and interpersonal skills
- Follow up with key clients regularly throughout the issue resolution process to provide smooth communication.
- Provide timely and comprehensive status reports that maintain service level agreements
- Provide up-to-date information to clients in response to specific inquiries
- Develop follow up methodology for commitments prior to requested date.
- Provide advance notifications to management regarding potential issues before they occur.
- Acquisition and Deployment
- Conduct research on desktop products in support of PC procurement and development efforts. Evaluate and recommend products for purchase.
- Write technical specifications for purchase of PCs, desktop hardware and related products
- Maintain desktop environment asset records including software licensing
- Innovative self-starter with excellent communication skills
- Facilitate effective two-way communication with staff members and management
- Ability to present ideas in a user-friendly language
- Understand and align to the organizations goals and objectives
- Analytical and problem-solving abilities, with keen attention to detail
- Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment
- Strong customer-service orientation.
- Attend weekly staff meetings and provide input on status reports
- Document issue resolutions clearly and accurately
- Security and Safety
- Maintain a business oriented and professional work environment.
- Adhere to all basic safety standards according to customer’s requirements.
- Attend performance planning sessions with Technical Lead on a regular basis to manage work plans
- Work with Technical Lead on formal performance evaluations and education plans that address job performance as well as professional growth
Technical and Behavioral Skills
- Excellent technical knowledge of PC and desktop hardware,
- Excellent technical knowledge of PC internal components.
- Hands-on hardware troubleshooting experience.
- Working technical knowledge of current technologies, protocols, operating systems, and standards, including Windows 7, MS Office 2010, Internet Explorer, mobility, iPhone, Android, VDI, VPS, LAN, WAN and basic networking protocols and standards
- Ability to operate tools, components, and peripheral accessories.
- Able to read and understand technical manuals, procedural documentation, and OEM guides.
- MCDST certification
- A+ certification
- MCSE certification is desirable
- OEM certifications (Dell, Compaq, HP, etc.), other certifications and/or training as required
- General knowledge of desktop hardware and software including working knowledge of Microsoft applications
- Ability to test PC, servers and associated peripherals and/or low end document processor products
- Ability to resolve complex problems as required.
- Basic mechanical skills and understanding of electro static discharge (ESD) procedures
Do you have what it takes to be mission-critical? Apply Now.
- High School diploma or GED and a minimum of 3 years related experience required
- Bachelor’s degree in the field of computer sciences preferred
Unisys offers a very competitive benefits package including health insurance coverage from first day of employment, a 401k with an immediately vested company match, vacation and educational benefits. To learn more about Unisys visit us at www.Unisys.com.
Unisys is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE). M/F/D/V.
Unisys - 13 months ago
Unisys is a worldwide information technology company. We provide a portfolio of IT services, software, and technology that solves critical...