Broadcom is seeking an experienced UNIX/Linux systems administrator to join an amazing team of system administrators, all with the goal of supporting and optimizing a global Engineering Infrastructure. In this role, the primary focus will be on partnering with key engineering client groups to ensure that the compute and storage infrastructure enables them to deliver complex technology products with a high level of efficiency. As a Liaison to the business, you will also serve as the single point of contact and “face of IT” for all IT initiatives, projects, services and escalated issues.
Effective communication is a key component of this opportunity. Excellent verbal and written communication skills are essential in addition to being able to effectively team with a wide variety of functional groups and individual personalities. As a trusted business partner, you will regularly present IT technology and services roadmap updates to your client community to keep them informed. You will also collect information and perspective from your clients to feed back into the IT leadership team. That client feedback is instrumental as it influences the strategy and direction of IT services. You will also own broader client communication responsibilities that will be tied to individual projects, services and/or general technologies.
The environment is predominantly EDA-centric supporting chip development with a growing footprint of software product development. You will regularly assess performance, capacity, trends and overall alignment of the infrastructure environment to the needs of the engineering client community. You should be a dedicated problem solver who can multi-task and prioritize tasks in a fast-paced and demanding environment.
Ongoing expectations include:
· Seek out ways to provide enhancements to existing infrastructure.
· Monitor, maintain, upgrade, and support Broadcom’s global engineering infrastructure as required.
· Coordinate changes to the environment around the schedule of engineers and engineering projects.
· Work closely with other systems administrators around the globe to define and follow standards (all sites should look almost identical so that all administrators would be capable of participating in the support of every other site) and best practices for infrastructure design, testing, and implementation methodology. Document the environment.
· Resolve client issues through troubleshooting, research and root cause analysis as needed. Document complex resolutions to serve as a guide for the rest of the global team when they encounter similar situations.
· Create, update, improve technical documentation as appropriate. Craft self-help collateral for the benefit of the global client community.
· Document all unique implementations and configurations within your clients’ environment. This will serve as educational reference material for others in the organization. It will also provide important information to your peers should they need to engage your clients when you are away from the office.
· Participate in an on-call rotation with your global teammates.
· Train and/or educate individuals working at “level 1” and “level 2” to enable them to take on more challenging issues which will, in turn, diminish the amount of time that you spend on troubleshooting issues.
· Provide regular status updates on interesting projects and/or situations.
· Represent the IT enterprise solutions correctly to the employee base to market the advantage of the supported infrastructure
· Keep up with changes in the infrastructure technology market and seek ways to implement new capabilities.
· Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or a related technical field.
· 10+ years of UNIX systems, storage and network administration experience to include some level of architectural planning and implementation.
· Must have extensive Linux knowledge and experience.
· Experience supporting a large hardware and/or software engineering environment including a keen understanding of what it means to support a highly technical clientele.
· Experience with EDA tools and environments is strongly preferred.
· Must possess excellent written, verbal, and organizational skills. Strong experience with delivering presentations to a wide variety of audiences is also desired.
· Must be able to work well under pressure and meet aggressive deadlines.
· MUST work well in both small and large team environments with excellent interpersonal skills. Ability to effectively engage internal clients, vendors, management and all others in the workforce.
· Ability to influence others without assigned authority in both formal and informal settings.
· In this senior level position, must possess leadership skills.
· MUST have an outstanding customer service attitude and the ability to turn difficult situations into moments that are viewed as positive by all involved.
A Company of Innovation and Engineering A Community of Talent
As a leading provider of highly integrated semiconductor technology...