Alcorn State University, an equal employment opportunity employer, is strongly committed to achieving excellence through a diverse workforce. The University actively encourages applications of all qualified individuals.
PRINCIPAL PURPOSE OF JOB: Under the direction of the Director of Educational Equity and Inclusion, the Assistant Director of Educational Equity and Inclusion supports the overall development and implementation of services provided by this unit to promote diversity and equity, including operation of The Inclusion Center.
SCOPE OF RESPONSIBILITY: The Assistant Director of Educational Equity and Inclusion is responsible for managing various activities that serve the campus community by fostering inclusive excellence and cross-cultural understanding. Specifically, she/he serves as the principal staff person providing leadership for The Inclusion Center, which delivers a wide range of programs and services that meaningfully engage students in advancing the goals of diversity. In addition, the Assistant Director of Educational Equity and Inclusion offers critical support and direction for major initiatives sponsored by the Office.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
• Provide management for the operation of The Inclusion Center, which involves serving in leadership capacity for establishing a culturally empowering space and successfully executing various programs to include (but not limited to) Diversity Champions, Inclusive Leadership Engagement Action and Development (iLEAD) Seminar Series and Leadership Institute, Courageous Conversations, Diversity and Inclusion Outreach, and Journey of Understanding
• Collaborate with other units to administer diversity-related programs that help in the mission to infuse diversity and inclusion throughout the institution
• Deliver support and guidance for student interns in coordination of activities that support diversity and inclusion
• Manage the Office website and other social media outlets as well as promotional efforts
• Work collaboratively with Director in development and implementation of major Office initiatives, such as Unity Through Diversity Week, Diversity and Inclusion Grants, Diversity and Inclusion Summit on HBCUs, etc.
• Work collaboratively with the Director and student interns in the development of innovative new programs based on emerging needs
• Assist with documentation of Office activities and relevant report and grant writing
• Partner with Director in coordinating with other units such as First-Year Programs and Residence Life to facilitate training in diversity and inclusion
• Participate in recruitment efforts to grow the diversity among the student population
• Serve as an effective and passionate spokesperson for the Office of Educational Equity and Inclusion and Alcorn State University.
QUALIFICATIONS: A minimum of a bachelor’s degree is required, preferably within an area related to the scope of responsibilities associated with diversity and inclusion work (i.e. Psychology, Sociology, etc.). The successful applicant will have previous experience in higher education working with diverse students.
Licensing and Certifications
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, and ABILITIES:
• Demonstrated cultural competence in working successfully with diverse groups
• Knowledge of the principles of student development theory and social justice
• Ability to initiate and manage diversity related programming
• Excellent skills in organization and planning, interpersonal communication, public speaking, research and writing, and event management
• Strong analytical and multi-tasking abilities
• Sensitivity to the needs of a diverse student population
• Willingness to be self-reflective, flexible, and open to constructive feedback
• Desire to grow through personal and professional development opportunities
• Dedicated team player and visionary self-starter
• Ability to initiate and maintain professional relationships with various constituent groups
• PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
1. Ability to sit at a workstation for extended periods
2. Occasional ability to lift, carry, and put away parcels weighing up to 50 pounds
ALCORN STATE UNIVERSITY is an Equal Opportunity Employer
The functions, qualifications, knowledge/skills, and physical requirements listed in this job description represent the essential duties of the job, which the incumbent must be able to perform either with or without reasonable accommodation. The Job Functions listed do not necessarily include all activities that the individual may perform.
InsideHigherEd.com - 17 months ago