This position requires an employee who will aid in the day-to-day running of the Health Information Management (HIM) Department. Must be able to respond to and interact with physicians and hospital staff in a courteous and collaborative manner. Performs various duties, including CPT-4 and ICD-9 coding/abstracting.
- Codes and abstracts all diagnoses and procedures according to ICD-9-CM and CPT-4/HCPCS hospital coding policies and procedures and federal and state coding and reimbursement guidelines.
- Ensures proper sequencing of codes occurs.
- Initiates dialogue with Clinical Documentation Specialist, physician or other appropriate clinical staff when ambiguous or conflicting information is in the medical record.
- Exhibits knowledge and aptitude regarding coding software and resources for accurate code assignment.
- Participates in a minimum of twelve episodes annually in coder education and/or training in the form of presentations, articles, seminars, etc.
- Education: High School diploma or equivalent required. Associate degree in HIM and/or diploma from accredited coding program preferred.
- Licensure/Certification: Certified coding credentials through American Health Information Management Association, American Academy of Professional Coders or the American College of Medical Coding Specialist required within 12 months of employment or placement in position.
- Experience: With coding diploma or certification, none required. Without coding diploma or certification, m inimum of one year experience in hospital coding using ICD-9, CPT-4 and HCPCS coding systems required.
Arkansas Heart Hospital - 22 months ago
copy to clipboard