The World Resources Institute ( www.wri.org ) is seeking a legal intern to provide research support to our work on property rights. WRI’s work seeks to ensure poor rural people have secure property rights over their land and natural resources. More specifically, the work focuses on helping governments:
- Better recognizing local land and natural resource property rights (including customary tenure arrangements) in land-use
- Establish high standards for restricting and extinguishing land and natural resource property rights.
This will be an unpaid summer+ internship, with flexible start and end dates.
The legal intern will assist several research activities on various land and natural resource property rights matters (with a likely focus on Africa). These include:
• Research on large-scale land acquisitions for agricultural investments (biofuels and food)
• Research on government authority to restrict or extinguish private property rights
• Prepare 1 or 2 interactive lessons on property rights for WRI’s Focus on Land in Africa project ( www.focusonland.com )
The intern may be required to provide other project support where needed.
• A law student or recent graduate with a background in environmental issues, international development, economics, or a related field
• Familiarity with land and natural resource property rights issues
• Excellent research and writing skills
• Strong communications skills with demonstrated mastery of oral and written English
• Demonstrated ability to work independently as well as part of a team
World Resources Institute - 24 months ago