Medical Assistant-Labor and Delivery
Requisition Number: 8375 Reg/Temp Regular
Employment Type: Full-Time Shift Rotating
Work Schedule: 0700 - 1900 and/or 1900 - 0700 Location Name University of Utah Hospital
City: SALT LAKE CITY State UT
Department: UUH IPC 23A DELIVERY RM
Apply for this job:
Interested in this opportunity?
- Apply Now!
- Email this opportunity to a friend/colleague
Socialize this job opportunity to a friend, colleague, or family member:
Share on linkedinShare on facebookShare on twitterShare on emailMore Sharing Services
The University of Utah Health Care is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer. Upon request, reasonable accommodations in the application process will be provided to individuals with disabilities. The University of Utah Health Care is committed to diversity in its workforce. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.Overview:
As a patient-focused organization, the University of Utah Health Care exists to enhance the health and well-being of people through patient care, research and education. Success in this mission requires a culture of collaboration, excellence, leadership, and respect. University of Utah Health Care seeks staff that are committed to the values of compassion, collaboration, innovation, responsibility, diversity, integrity, quality and trust that are integral to our mission. EO/AA
This position provides assistive care to patients. The incumbent facilitates the efficient delivery of patient care, supports the professional role of the licensed staff, and provides support and assistance as directed by licensed staff in rendering basic healthcare to the patient. This position also assists with clerical functions as a multi-skilled auxiliary worker.
- May assist inpatient and family education by providing educational material and general health information to patients and family members.
- May assist with transportation of patients to ancillary departments or inpatient units as directed by licensed staff.
- May instruct in Basic Life Support (BLS) requirements.
- May perform IV access.
- May perform other duties based on department assigned.
- Prepares patients for examinations and diagnostic procedures according to clinic procedures such as recording temperatures, pulse rate, blood pressure and responses to standardized medical history questions.
- Reports all observed patient concerns and changes in condition to a licensed staff member.
- Performs Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments (CLIA) Waved Lab tests as identified by department and reports results to the appropriate personnel. May perform patient phlebotomies in accordance with clinic procedures and physician orders after specialized training.
- Performs additional skills such as suture removal, straight catheterization and injections (IM, Subq and intra-dermal).
- Acts as a chaperone for health care providers during patient examination as requested and assists with procedures.
- Monitors and cleans assigned patient examination rooms, unit areas and unit equipment reporting outdated supplies, stock levels and restock set levels of items and necessary equipment repairs.
- Answers telephones, forwards telephone messages and under the direction of licensed staff schedules appointments, procedures and diagnostic tests.
- Assists in routine clerical functions such as filing of medical information in patient’s records, locating and compiling department charts, obtaining medical records from other providers and entering charges for billing purposes.
- Attends and completes mandatory education including infection prevention and control, safety, CPR, equipment usage and procedures according to hospital and department policies.
- May apply leads and monitors for diagnostic procedures such as EKG and ultrasound scan under the direct supervision of licensed personnel.
Knowledge / Skills / Abilities
- Ability to perform the essential functions of the job as outlined above.
- Demonstrated phlebotomy skills.
- Demonstrated human relation and effective communication skills.
- Demonstrated proficiency in the specific clinic’s specialty skills within six weeks of hire. *Specialty skills may not be performed until after the new hire completed basic competency testing.
- Incumbents face exposure to potentially dangerous contaminated bodily fluids, blood, used needles and other contaminants as part of the daily hazards of the job.
- Ability to withstand the physical demand of being on your feet for long periods of time, of moving and lifting patients and of reaching for and handling equipment.
- Completion of a certified Medical Assistant Program or current certification as an EMT-Intermediate in the State of Utah.
All of the following license(s)
- Basic Life Support Health Care Provider card through American Heart Association or obtain within one month of hire.
- Medical Assistant National Certification
University of Utah Health - 14 months ago