We are currently seeking a Senior Biosafety Officer (2 positions) to support Battelle's growing biomedical research operations. This position is located in West Jefferson, OH. Relocation assistance is available.
To ensure the safety and health of staff in a professional, ethical manner and to be accountable for the elimination or reduction of known hazards. Develops, recommends and implements programs, policies and procedures for effective control of safety and health hazards. Monitors and controls the effectiveness of BCO's compliance programs and provides consulting services and technical leadership to all organizational levels in the area of occupational safety and health.
- Establishes, maintains and manages exposure monitoring surveys for biological, chemical and physical hazards to assess short-term (acute) or long-term (chronic) health risks to staff from occupational exposure to biological agents.
- Establishes, maintains and manages specific programs that reduce or prevent conditions that adversely impact the health of staff.
- Develops effective controls, procedures and communications that will significantly reduce the risk of occupational illness and injuries.
- Prepares technical reports and training modules based on expert interpretation of measurements, observations, technical publications and regulations to communicate concerns and corrective measures and to document conditions.
- Assesses and analyzes the potential health and safety risks of research projects which and determine effective engineering or administrative controls to mitigate those risks.
- Conducts facility audits to ensure that safety and health programs are being carried out in an effective manner and to identify deficiencies and unsafe work practices or conditions.
- Develops and participates in health and safety committees by providing guidance and expertise on health and safety issues.
- Responds to requests for assistance or responds to emergencies that could affect the health or safety of staff members.
- Acts as lead biosafety subject matter expert during regulatory inspections and periodic client assessments.
- Participates as subject matter expert during incident investigations and causal analysis reviews.
- Serves as subject matter expert for other biosafety research within Battelle.
THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS MUST BE MET TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Must be a U.S. Citizen
- Must be capable of obtaining required U.S. Government security clearances.
- Requires a Bachelor's Degree or equivalent in Industrial Hygiene, Occupational Safety, or chemical/physical/biological sciences or a closely related discipline.
- Requires five years of professional experience in safety, biosafety, industrial hygiene, or other related areas in a BSL-3 lab environment and possess thorough knowledge of biosafety regulations and best practices and select agent regulations.
- Must have at least 5 years experience in the development and management of health and safety programs, interpretation of regulatory requirements, comprehension of the technical aspects of research operations, communication with staff members of varied organizational levels and educational backgrounds.
- Must be eligible and able to receive vaccinations based on research being performed.
THE FOLLOWING IS DESIRED, BUT NOT REQUIRED TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Possess current U.S. government security clearance(s)
- Possess a Master's Degree or equivalent in Industrial Hygiene, Occupational Safety, or chemical/physical/biological sciences.
- Certified Biological Safety Professional with thorough knowledge of appropriate regulations or eligible to pursue certification.
- Ten years of professional experience in Industrial Hygiene, Occupational Safety, Safety or other related areas within a BSL-3 lab environment.
Battelles competitive benefits program includes comprehensive medical and dental care, matching 401K, employee pension, tuition reimbursement, work/life balance, paid time off, flexible spending accounts, disability coverage, and other benefits that help provide financial protection for you and your family.
Battelle is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and supports diversity in the workplace. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, or sexual orientation. For more information about our other openings, please visit www.battelle.org/careers .
When you use a copier, hit a golf ball, or listen to a CD, you're using technologies developed by Battelle Memorial Institute. The...