Linux/UNIX Systems Administrator
Ann Arbor, MI
ITHAKA (www.ITHAKA.org) is a not-for-profit organization dedicated to helping the academic community use digital technology to preserve the scholarly record and to advance research and teaching in sustainable ways. ITHAKA provides innovative services that benefit higher education including JSTOR, Portico, and Ithaka S+R. ITHAKA is headquartered in New York, NY with offices in Ann Arbor, MI and Princeton, NJ.
ITHAKA is seeking an energetic and dynamic person as Linux/UNIX Systems Administrator. The person who fills this position will work closely with other System Administrators to provide administration of the public and internal Linux/UNIX systems. The Linux/UNIX Systems Administrator will report to the Business Systems Manager.
Position Duties and Responsibilities:
The Linux/UNIX Systems Administrator’s responsibilities may include, but will not be limited to the following:
· Maintaining the Linux/UNIX systems of the public services so that they have greater than 99.9% uptime;
· Installing and maintaining Linux/UNIX systems (Solaris OS running on Sun hardware and RedHat for Linux running in Cisco UCS);
· Performing preventative maintenance, performance tuning and monitoring of the systems;
· Managing resources that are involved in maintaining the host operating system on Linux/UNIX servers as well as software subsystems such as databases, web server software, source code version control systems, LDAP, and security;
· Configuring the operating systems, shell programming, making file system modifications, and analyzing machine and operating system performance;
· Defining and providing performance metrics;
· Manage our backup environment for our external and internal servers addressing issues that affect the success of these backups;
· Working with Senior Management and technical staff to successfully anticipate future capacity needs;
· The configuration and design of DNS systems;
· Write scripts in administrative languages (e.g. Tk, Perl, and shell) and debug/modify C programs
· Interacting with vendors as needed;
· Travel between the offices will be required (10%), as is after-hours support.
Required Skills and Experiences :
· Bachelor’s degree o r equivalent work experience, education/training, etc.
· 4+ years of hands on experience as a Linux/UNIX administrator;
· Any vendor certifications related to server OS or server based applications;
· Experience installing third-party software;
· Must have prior experience managing large NAS and SAN disk space, working with Veritas and clustering technologies.
· A strong understanding of virtualization for Linux/UNIX environments;
· Familiarity with cloud hosted solutions (applications and server environments)
· Familiarity with high availability data solutions and replication techniques;
· An understanding of the fundamentals of security;
· Ability to take on major projects, working within a cohesive team producing successful results;
· The candidate must be comfortable managing multiple projects and day-to-day activities.
· The candidate is expected to work closely with a multi-location, multi-discipline team and should have previous experience using both technology and communication skills to overcome the distances between locations.
· The successful candidate will be a creative professional, who can work both independently and in a team environment.
· Experience with Sun Enterprise server hardware, Cisco UCS, Dell Hardware RedHat or other versions of Linux, Java Application Servers, Oracle and Enterprise Backup Systems are highly desirable.
· Applicant must be able to lift 50lbs and work with data wiring overhead on ladders.
*ITHAKA currently offers an extremely competitive benefit plan including:
• Choice of two medical plans, one at no cost to the employee
• Employer paid dental, vision, life insurance, and employee assistance programs
• Employer contributed retirement plan …And much, much more
Interested in joining the team?
Candidates should submit their resume, detailed cover letter, and salary requirements when applying online.
ITHAKA is an equal opportunity employer.
*ITHAKA may make changes to its benefits from time to time.
ITHAKA is a not-for-profit organization that helps the academic community use digital technologies to preserve the scholarly record and to...