For forward-thinking administrators and educators opportunities abound in the School District of Philadelphia. The School District of Philadelphia (SDP) is committed to transforming the education opportunities it offers the city's 200,000 school-aged children, over 35% of whom attend charter schools throughout the city. The district seeks leaders who have a passion for working with children, families and community partners and who are committed to ensuring all students achieve. Serving a population as diverse as ours requires creativity, commitment and vision. Will you join us?
Reporting to the School Reform Commission, Philadelphia's charter school authorizer, the Executive Director, Charter Schools Office will be charged with the mission-critical task of creating a service-oriented and accountability-focused environment that enables SDP to support and monitor its 80+ charter schools. The Executive Director, Charter Schools Office will lead the district's oversight of educationally sound and fiscally responsible charter schools as a means of improving academic achievement and strengthening Philadelphia's school choice options. This is an exciting opportunity for an individual with deep charter school experience and knowledge to play a critical role in one of the nation's most exciting reform efforts.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Develop a strategic and cohesive vision for how SDP and the SRC will effectively work with charter schools.
- Serve as the SRC's and SDP's charter school thought leader and subject matter expert.
- Design and oversee effective charter school authorizing processes/procedures.
- Drive the vision and process for supporting charter schools in their ongoing efforts to deliver effective instruction and maintain fiscal responsibility.
- Design and deliver the strategies/processes through which the authorizer will hold charter schools accountable for instructional and financial stability.
- Improve collaboration across the various types of city schools (e.g., traditional, charter, etc.) by establishing open and effective communications lines.
- Partner with other district leaders to ensure alignment across strategic visions and shared understanding of challenges and opportunities.
- Identify areas where adjusting the Charter Schools Office charter school approach/focus could improve the city's school choice offerings and lead to better outcomes for students and families.
- Performs related duties as required
- Charter schools and/or district operations.
- A proven track record of working across diverse sets of stakeholders and using data to set vision and drive results.
- Outstanding critical thinking skills, with demonstrated success in creating strategic processes and systems during a time of tremendous change.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, with a track record of working collaboratively with staff at all levels to build consensus while also delivering exceptional results.
- Bold, tireless, and engaging change agency and culture-creation.
- Visionary leadership that inspires and motivates those around them.