Performs all activities associated with the retrieval of soiled linen, processing of linen and distribution of clean linen. (Refer to the agreement between the Hospital and Local 814 with regard to “grandfathered” employees.)
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
1. Provides efficient courteous customer service to all people while performing duties of Linen Service Attendant.
2. Answers telephone in an efficient, courteous manner within 5 rings.
3. Provides quick courteous responses to emergency requests.
4. Responds to walk-in and telephone requests and provides or sends items to the requestor.
5. Provides courteous service to customers when delivering or picking up linen.
6. Operates computer-controlled washers to produce clean linen according to operational and safety procedures.
7. Operates computer-controlled dryers for conditioning and drying linen items according to operational and safety procedures.
8. Operates computer-controlled spreader according to operational and safety procedures.
9. Operates flatwork ironer to iron linen items according to operational and safety procedures. Adjusts ironer speed according to the linen items being processed and moisture content.
10. Operates computer-controlled folders for processing items according to operational and safety procedures.
11. Have sufficient knowledge of equipment to adjust within proper operating and safety procedures for that piece of equipment.
12. Notifies supervision of any equipment malfunctions or unusual problems, which need immediate attention.
13. Retrieves and transports soiled linen from designated areas on a set schedule.
14. Delivers exchange cart or requisitioned linen to designated area.
15. Performs housekeeping related duties necessary to maintain the laundry in an orderly and professional condition.
16. Inventories and records linen orders filled for delivery to offsite designations.
17. Operates hand-held computers to inventory and restock clean linen exchange carts. Insuring sufficient quantities of linen are stocked on the exchange carts for delivery to patient and ancillary areas.
18. Log/documents all issues of linen items.
19. Operates computers to perform educational requirements through Net Learning.
20. Assists in the training of new employees.
21. Other related duties as assigned.
Performance Standard : Adheres to the established Performance Expectations for WVUH Employees in the areas of People, Service, Performance Improvement, Shared Values & Culture.
Physical Demands : The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work Environment : The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability dexterity and physical ability to stand, walk, and handle linens for prolonged periods of time.
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to push heavily loaded carts weighing up to 600 pounds.
- Ability and willingness to work, as directed, at repetitive tasks in hot, humid, and noisy surroundings.
Education and Experience: High School Diploma or GED, is preferred, or a combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge and abilities can be acquired is necessary.
- Skills necessary to operate computerized laundry equipment safely and within guidelines are preferred.
- Math skills necessary to use hand-held computers to count, inventory, and stock carts to specific quantities are preferred.
West Virginia University Hospitals - 9 months ago