Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory: Physical Biosciences Division
is currently seeking student assistants that would like to get experience working with our website and databases. Our small tech team at PBD is currently focused on rebuilding our websites, refining processes, and creating a better workflow utilizing new technology. You will find a good opportunity to enhance your resume if you are a student looking to get experience working with:
- PHP (
- Administrating Linux Machines and Apache Servers
- Future projects outside our website are open to technology and framework suggestions
Our program is essentially in charge of bringing improved design, new programming concepts, and modern frameworks to the lab. We are seeking students to be a strong driving force on this front. We acknowledge that building a resume is key to your future success, so we are open to the idea of open sourcing non-sensitive projects you build via Github or any other portfolio building sites.
- Writing PHP in either a custom framework or within the Lithium PHP or Cake PHP frameworks
- Work with HTML5 Standards
- Work with databases, mainly PostgreSQL, but may include Oracle, and MSSQL.
- Version control and contribute to the project with git
- Document the systems built.
- Provide user support by responding to new feature requests and bug reports.
- Document and track feedback from end users
- Administer the Debian Machine and Apache Server.
- Participate in software release testing.
KEY SUCCESS FACTORS:
- Experience in Object Oriented Programming.
- Experience with PHP (or a C based language with a willingness to learn on free time)
- Experience with Relational Databases that use SQL.
- Experience with the HTML5 standards
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a diverse team.
- Experience with Git
Additional desired qualifications:
Students may work up to 20 hours during Fall and Spring semesters and up to 40 hours during Summer.
- Experience using a *nix system and using the terminal
- Experience using PHP frameworks like Cake PHP, Zend, and Lithium PHP
- Experience with the MVC design pattern
- Experience with building APIs or willingness to learn
Berkeley Lab is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer committed to the development of a diverse workforce.
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory - 19 months ago
LBNL is a U.S. Department of Energy national laboratory located in Berkeley, California. It conducts unclassified scientific research and is...