This is a year-round part-time position working in Marshville and Monroe libraries. The position is normally scheduled for 13 to 18 hours per week on a three week rotation. Must be able to work weekday mornings, afternoons and evenings as well as weekends. For schedule details, call Hannah Terrell at 704-624-2828. Requires attention to detail, competence in using Microsoft Office applications, Internet searching, and excellent customer service skills. Must be able to stand for long periods of time.
Under supervision of the Circulation Manager or Assistant Branch Manager, performs library work within the Circulation unit of the library. Employee is responsible for assisting library patrons; maintaining library materials and records; checking library materials in and out; collecting overdue fines; shelving materials; and providing readers’ advisory assistance to library patrons. Duties assigned to employees in the position may vary according to the specific needs of the library and division of workload. Performs job in concert with the missions and goals set forth in the Library’s Big Picture.
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Acknowledges each library patron with a pleasant greeting. Assists patrons in locating materials and using the public access catalog.
• Meets the needs of each patron by promptly and efficiently using the circulation system to accurately record each transaction.
• Checks inventory and overdue lists against the collection; reconciles discrepancies.
• Efficiently registers new patrons and updates patron records according to library policy.
• Accurately accounts for all financial transactions.
• Understands and explains library policy clearly; handles disputes pleasantly and according to policy, requesting assistance from supervisor as needed.
• Empties the book drops and video drops on a regular basis as assigned, including times when library is closed for extended periods.
• Promptly and accurately places holds as requested; efficiently and accurately handles materials being transported between library facilities for checkout to library patrons; efficiently notifies patrons when requested items become available.
• Responds to readers’ need for guidance in selecting materials of interest, using readers’ advisory skills and tools.
• Provides Inter-Library Loan assistance as appropriate.
• Channels requests for materials not in the current collection to the designated selector.
• Is conversant as to current best sellers and materials of special interest.
• Accurately sorts and shelves materials, shelf-reads and shifts items as needed.
• Watches for damage and defects in materials, and follows procedures for directing items in need of repair or replacement to Technical Services.
• Assists patrons using the copy machine as needed.
• Assists in the stocking of the perpetual book and magazine sale, as assigned.
• Sorts donated materials; prepares for cataloging, sale, or other dispensation.
ADDITIONAL JOB FUNCTIONS
• Attends staff development programs and applies skills and knowledge learned.
• Answers telephone queries quickly and efficiently, referring callers to the appropriate library department without inconveniencing customers who are physically present.
• Maintains a neat, attractive, well-functioning, and safe working environment; notify Facilities Coordinator as to any maintenance needs.
• Enforces library policies regarding patron behavior; immediately reports any unsafe or threatening condition to library security personnel, administration, or proper authorities.
• Makes suggestions for service or procedural improvements..
• Accepts changes in hours or assigned tasks as needed to provide excellent public service; adheres to assigned schedule with regular and dependable attendance.
• Responds to the needs of coworkers in work unit; cooperates with and supports all staff throughout the library system.
• Performs related duties as required.
Education and Experience:
Bachelor's degree in an area of general education, business education, or liberal arts, and 1 to 2 years of experience in library work; or any equivalent combination of training and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
Union County, NC - 2 years ago