The Forest Stewardship Specialist provides statewide field services and support. The Specialist serves as liaison to cooperating agencies providing technical and financial assistance for the management and protection of native, riparian and planted forest resources. Duties include both office and field responsibilities promoting Forest Stewardship and related programs and directing landowner assistance to implement forestry best management practices. The Specialist assists the Stewardship Manager with technical and financial assistance to private landowners.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Forestry or related natural resource field
- Forest management or related natural resource courses
- Three (3) years of directly related natural resource management experience
- Experience in effectively coordinating with landowners, boards, and/or soil conservation districts on forest management practices
- Computer experience (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Excellent oral, written and interpersonal communication skills
- Valid driver’s license
- Use of Forestry tools
- Aptitude for GIS , GPS and related technology
- Highly motivated, dedicated, outgoing, confident and ethical
- Adaptable to change
- Positive attitude
- Ability and desire to work as part of a team and with staff and partners
- Willing to travel alone, stay overnight and work in semi-remote areas
- Excellent organization, prioritization and time management skills
- Ability to work without direct supervision
- Ability to work safely
Open Until Filled:
Internal/External Simultaneously: Open to all applicants
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Please include cover letter, resume and contact information for three professional references.
No Smoking Notice:
As an employer, the State of North Dakota prohibits smoking in all places of state employment in accordance with N.D.C.C. § 23-12-10.
North Dakota State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
Veteran’s Preference Notice:
This position is subject to North Dakota Veteran’s Preference requirements.