Join a winning team! Unitrends is the fastest-growing – and only - provider of all-in-one backup, archiving and disaster recovery solutions, enabling our customers to focus on their business instead of backup. We are the preferred choice of IT professionals because we set the standard in virtual, physical and cloud server data protection and we offer the absolute best value in the industry for feature-rich backup technology. Visit us at www.unitrends.com .
The Linux and performance team is responsible for the delivery of software for a large number of Linux environments. The team delivers the agent that provides integration into the Unitrends backup/recovery solution for multiple variants of Linux such as Red Hat, Ubuntu, Fedora, CentOS along with major Unix variants such as Solaris, HP UX and AIX. Additionally, the team provides software to integrate with other IBM and Cisco systems. Candidates should be very knowledgeable of the Linux/Unix environment, storage subsystem and network communications. The performance team is responsible for end-to-end performance characterization on both our physical and virtual appliances.
- Manages large-scale engineering projects by defining project scope, methodologies, and deliverables; providing leadership in project planning and technical design; estimating and obtaining resources; developing schedules; assigning work to technical staff members and coordinating work assignments; and reviewing and monitoring progress and results.
- Analyzes project results and adjusts assigned resources to maintain engineering goals and milestones.
- This person will be instrumental in working with the Chief Architect and other managers to determine new features of the Linux agents and lead the team in delivering and maintaining high quality software.
- Identifies the software functionality required to meet the performance and product functionality requirements as specified by product management.
- Manages the performance characterization and optimization for new hardware / virtual platforms.
- Provides progress reports to management.
- Ensures and enforces consistent usage of design methodologies.
- Manages a team of engineers and other technical staff by determining staffing needs, obtaining appropriate corporate approvals, interviewing candidates, and making hiring decisions. Promotes and facilitates training and professional development of staff. Coaches and counsels staff on career development. Prepares and delivers performance counseling and reviews and makes salary recommendations. Makes disciplinary recommendations and executes policies as appropriate. Provides technical leadership to staff.
- Continuously learns new skills, engineering methodologies and approaches, and technologies and helps to integrate them into Unitrends’ engineering efforts.
- Works with third party development teams when necessary to deliver required functionality. Is able to negotiate functional development, schedules, costs, quality, testing and obtain deliverables that meet the expectations of Unitrends. Must be able to establish statement of works, contracts and firm deliverables from third party development teams.
- Translates broad, strategic directives and initiatives into tactical, operational activities.
- Provides input to management on Unitrends’ long-term technology and staffing needs.
We're experiencing amazing growth - we have a strong business model, top-notch talent, and an incredible passion that drives us to even greater success. A bit about us…
- 5+ years managing a team of software engineers
- Advanced knowledge of technologies, product engineering methodologies, and programming languages that are relevant to:
- Source control management
- Defect tracking – bugzilla
- C / C++
- BASH / Perl
- Advanced knowledge of the principles, practices, and techniques of product engineering and project management
- Proven knowledge of Linux / Solaris platforms and software technologies and the ability to map the functional and performance product requirements into these technologies.
- Proven ability to lead a team of technical staff members to the successful delivery of a software product.
- Ability to work effectively with senior management in the development of strategic objectives and long-range plans
- Strong technical skills which include a thorough understanding of Linux and Linux like application design, data communications, and user interface design
- Strong performance characterization discipline
- Demonstrated ability to manage teams on complex projects.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Engineering or related field from an accredited college/university or an equivalent combination of skills, training, knowledge, and abilities.
- We are customer-obsessed and have over 3,000 customers worldwide .
- We are committed to ensuring we maintain a 98% customer satisfaction rate.
- Our CEO, Mike Coney, has been in this industry for 20 years and has a track record for driving high growth companies . He also used to fly stunt planes – which gives him incredible experience to excel at disciplined risk-taking!
- We are agile and adaptive – that refers to both our technology and our people!
- We foster innovation and creativity and reward staff who excel at individual excellence, rhythmic teamwork, and a work hard/play hard mentality.
Unitrends is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ancestry, national origin, color, religion, gender, age, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, or veteran status.
Upon conditional offer of employment, candidates are required to complete a criminal background check and drug test per Unitrends employment policy.
Unitrends - 12 months ago
Our customers realize immediate and long-term operational cost savings by protecting heterogeneous platforms from a new Windows Server 2008...