The Queens Community House (QCH) is a settlement house founded in 1975 to assist, strengthen, and help improve the quality of life of individuals, families, and communities. QCH works with other organizations in networks and coalitions to advocate for and provide services borough wide.
The Queens Community House (QCH) in collaboration with the United Way, the Department of Education and the NYC Department of Youth and Community Development (DYCD) provides School Day Attendance Improvement Drop Out Prevention (AIDP) and Afterschool services at Jamaica High School. The QCH staff is comprised of a counseling team working under the direction of a site director at Jamaica High School and in collaboration with the Jamaica High School staff. QCH in partnership with the school will ensure that students' attendance, academic progress and grade promotion goals are being met.
Job Description: QCH seeks a NYC DOE certified English teacher to teach a Creative Writing Extended Learning Time class meeting credit bearing standards. The Teacher will implement a creative writing class during the 2012-2013 academic year. Content will be based on NYC DOE standards, building writing and expressive skills, and rigor towards course completion and grade promotion. Grade assessment will be based on class projects and presentations. Final project will result in Students completing their own anthology of short stories and poems. Teachers will work as part of an afterschool team and work closely with QCH Program and Jamaica HS School staff to ensure the components of the program is met. Teacher will be responsible for submitting lesson plans, attendance records, and working with school towards submission of all grades and required materials. Regular meeting times will also be required with the QCH afterschool team for planning, progress and updates.
1. Satisfactory performance from September 2008 to present.
2. Demonstrated Knowledge and successful practice of differentiated teaching strategies, intervention strategies and small group instructions.
3. Demonstrated Knowledge of and practice in interdisciplinary instruction.
4. Willingness to teach in standard as well as extended time modules.
5. Ability to work with students in small groups.
6. Experience writing, creating and implementing effective learning activities.
7. Periodically meet with guidance counselors, and QCH counselors to provide updates on student performance.
8. Periodically meet with individuals students to access portfolio.
9. Exemplary attendance and punctuality record.
Must be a Department of Education Certified teacher preferably with prior experience with High
School aged students. Person should demonstrate knowledge of content area and ability to create and implement
effective lessons and practices that lead to high student achievement.; ability to create model classroom
learning environments and work cooperatively and effectively with colleagues; excellent record of
attendance, punctuality and ability to communicate and keep track of all lessons and student
progress. Must have a commitment to youth development, high student performance, and making positive
connections with students.
idealist.org - 19 months ago