Director of Development College of Technology and Innovation
The ASU Foundation for A New American University is one of Arizonas oldest and most respected philanthropic organizations. Our mission is simple and direct: to ensure the success of ASU as a New American University. We help produce a new generation of leaders who will find solutions to the greatest challenges we face. Critical philanthropic investments drive ASUs advancements in the areas of academic excellence, broad access to higher education and transformative societal impact. These philanthropic commitments help us help ASU find a new generation of solutions.
A 501(c)(3) organization, the ASU Foundation uses a revolutionary model of solutions-focused philanthropy that identifies donors passions, then empowers them to pursue those passions and change the world as investors in Arizona State University. ASU is ranked in the top 20 of university research institutions without medical schools and 79th in the world among 1,000 institutions by the Academic Ranking of World Universities, and offers some of the best graduate programs in the nation ( U.S. News & World Report , 2012). Many of our academic programs are among the best in the nation, and ASU is celebrated as a university where entrepreneurship thrives. ASU President Michael M. Crow, named one of Americas 10 Best College Presidents by Time magazine, was also lauded by Slate.com as one of the 25 most innovative and practical thinkers of our time.
The College of Technology and Innovation is seeking a Director of Development who will create and implement strategies to develop resource and funding opportunities for the College. The Director of Development will work closely in conjunction with ASUF and the College's Vice Provost and Dean to secure philanthropic investments in the College's core priorities and to support the College's three program areas: Applied Sciences and Mathematics; Engineering and Engineering Technology; and Management and Entrepreneurship. The Director of Development reports jointly to the Assistant Vice President of Development and the Vice Provost and Dean.
- Create and implement a comprehensive development program in the College, working with existing colleagues and managing the operation of the Development Office
- Direct, develop and create development and fundraising campaigns/programs for the purpose of identifying, cultivating and soliciting major donors
- Manage a portfolio of 100-150 annual, major, and leadership giving level donors and prospective donors to build the Colleges donor pyramid
- Prepare or assist in the preparation of solicitation materials as needed for individual, corporate and/or foundation investors
- Lead, supervise, mentor and evaluate assigned staff, which may include, for example, staff with foci on stewardship, alumni relations, events coordination, and grant-writing
- Participate in strategic planning for academic programs as it relates to fundraising, working closely with the Vice Provost and Dean and academic leaders to identify fundraising needs and opportunities
- Work effectively in the ASUF prospect management and tracking system, following all protocols for visits and solicitations
- Prepare the Vice Provost and Dean and others with appropriate prospect and donor information as needed (e.g., through the creation of written briefings)
- Guided by the direction and scope of each prospect's interest, proactively collaborate across the university enterprise and with constituent and central development officers and colleagues to leverage the maximum philanthropic potential of each donor
- Work closely with the Vice Provost and Dean and other school leaders as well as volunteer and advisory boards to identify and prioritize resource development opportunities
- Work closely with ASUF colleagues to ensure that the College's fundraising priorities and opportunities are integrated with broader initiatives and to obtain specialized expertise or access
- Guide the development of written proposals, white papers, strategic plans, budgets and the other related collateral materials needed to deepen prospect engagement for securing a gift
- Furnish timely reports on progress toward assigned goals and solicitation results
- Other development related duties as assigned by the Assistant Vice President of Development and the Vice Provost and Dean
SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of principles and techniques of development/fundraising, preferably in higher education
- Strong and collegial interpersonal skills and an ability to communicate effectively in person, in writing, and by phone
- Self starter able to secure personal appointments and qualify new prospects
- Demonstrated achievement in securing philanthropic investments
- Ability to work independently
- Problem solver who can take initiative and set priorities while being flexible
- Team-oriented strategist able to effectively manage complex situations involving numerous and sometimes competing constituencies
- Ability to represent the institution well
- Belief in the vision of ASU as the New American University
- Ability to prepare complex and detailed proposals and related materials
- Attention to detail and thoroughness in completing assigned duties
- Highly organized and able to handle multiple projects
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and comfortable working in donor/prospect computer data base systems
- Collaborative style, combined with the ability and desire to work in a team-based environment
- Documented success in personally implementing sophisticated, multi-year cultivation strategies that use a relationship-building and moves management approach leading to successful gift closure
- Adept at navigating complex environments with evolving priorities and communication plans
- Demonstrable experience in stewardship plans leading to additional investments
Master's Degree in a related field and at least five years of administrative experience, including three years' supervisory experience; OR, Any equivalent combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
Contact us today.
The ASU Foundation for A New American University offers a competitive compensation and benefits package, including medical, dental and vision insurance; a 401(k) plan and reduced tuition at ASU.
For more information on the ASU Foundation, visit our web site at www.asufoundation.org . If interested in the director of development position, please apply online at www.asufoundation.org/careers.
The ASU Foundation for A New American University is an Equal Opportunity Employer
- 2 years ago - save job