- Currently enrolled undergraduate student in the College of Liberal Arts
- Completed one or more semesters of course work at the University of Minnesota
- Ability to communicate well and relate meaningfully to students, faculty, and staff
- Can speak to the benefits of a liberal arts education
- Ability to organize, multitask, and prioritize initiatives
- Familiarity with campus resources
- In good academic standing and with no campus disciplinary record
- Must be willing to commit through May 2014
- Comfort working with on-line course-delivery platforms (such as Moodle)
- Previous experience working with CLA 1001 as either a PA or a student
- Experience with social networking tools, particularly Facebook and Twitter
- Experience with a mentor program
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist with the creation and implementation of PA training sessions and CLA College Day during Welcome Week (August 29, 2013).
- Assist in organizing events that support student learning in the FYE.
- Become experienced in Moodle, the online course management tool used in the FYE. Responsible for online course creation and editing as needed.
- Develop a strategic social networking plan to engage the first-year CLA class, utilizing Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and other networking tools.
- Assist in the management of CLA 1001/1002 course sections by organizing class sections, maintaining course rosters, and responding to student concerns when appropriate.
- Develop and manage FYE recognition program to spotlight exceptional performance.
- Other duties as assigned within the scope of the FYE.
The FYE Operations Assistant will directly support the Assistant Director for Student Engagement & First-Year Programs in the implementation of CLA's First-Year Experience program. Qualified candidates must demonstrate strong proficiency for data organization with meticulous accuracy. This position will be called upon to assist in a number of FYE related tasks, including social networking, marketing, online course management, program planning, data gathering, and course evaluation. Candidates must be willing to work independently and proactively in a fast-paced environment, but will also be expected to work closely with the FYE Program Assistant Lead team and CLASS colleagues.
Work Schedule and Compensation
This position will be required to work approximately 10 hours per week, on average, during each semester. Summer and break hours are available, but are TBD. This position will be compensated at a rate of $9/hour.
Please submit a resume and provide at least three references. For each reference, please provide their contact information as well as their relationship to you. You will also submit a cover letter addressing your experiences and/or philosophies that qualify you for the responsibilities listed in the job summary.
Does this position require a background check?