Provides clerical support for an assigned department or area and coordinates daily patient activity.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Provides clerical support to ensure department or area efficiency.
- Promptly answers and screens phone calls for the area, routing calls as appropriate within established customer service guidelines.
- Ensures availability and completeness of medical records.
- Coordinates with physician the completion of charge documents for effective billing of services.
- Promptly and accurately files ancillary results in medical records and routes for appropriate follow through.
- Accurately completes orders for billing purposes in accordance with computer system protocol, CPT criteria, and regulatory guidelines.
- Promptly obtains and verifies patient insurance information.
- Maintains physician schedules in order to maximize resource utilization of senior staff.
- Accurately and promptly schedules, reschedules and cancels physician appointments so as to maximize resource utilization of senior staff for optimum efficiency.
- Maintains physician schedules to accurately reflect utilization of time on a daily, weekly and monthly basis using appropriate descriptive block codes.
- Updates physician same day appointment books and promptly notifies patients of any changes.
- Revises daily template as required to reflect desk location, activity types and administrative comments.
- Ensures appointments are correctly linked to the correct case, guarantor and insurance scheme.
- Coordinates patient needs to facilitate patient care planning activities and create a positive experience for the patient.
- Greets patients and ascertains their needs in a professional and courteous manner.
- Coordinates and directs patient flow at the control desk.
- Instructs patients in preparation of tests and procedures, routings, locations and other general information in a professional and courteous manner and in accordance with established policies and procedures.
- Interprets physicians orders to correctly order ancillary tests in accordance with current CPT criteria, ensuring that an appropriate ICD code has been attached to the order and reflects the clinical history as indicated by the physician.
- Coordinates hospital admissions and transportation for patients.
- Safety Initiative - Complies with Scott & White safety policies and procedures and regulatory requirements (e.g., OSHA, JCAHO, CLIA, etc.)
- Performs job duties in a manner consistent with organization and departmental safety policies and procedures.
- Completes update on safety through the organization's computerized education system on an annual basis; reads, understands and signs the MSDS manual on an annual basis.
- Performs other position appropriate duties as required in a competent, professional and courteous manner.
- Must enroll in PSS training program and successfully complete competency exam to maintain PSS position, or be moved into the PSS position.
- Medical Office Experience preferred.
Experience: Minimum/No Experience
Degree: H. S. Graduate/GED Equivalent