The Senior Web Operations Engineer will focus on Linux based systems and will be part of a small but highly skilled, dedicated team of individuals that support highly available, multi-tier Internet applications on a 24 x 7 basis as well as Development and QA environments and users. We are looking for someone to take an “ownership” role, in close collaboration with the VP of Technology Operations, in the management and operations of our multiple environments including production.
- Support of all aspects of the environment (Servers, Storage, Network and Software).
- Provide system administration, operational support, problem resolution, and perform hardware and software installations and maintenance as required.
- Design, implement, test and document new and old infrastructure components, services and enhancements.
- Application and System health and performance monitoring including responding to production issues and capacity planning and sizing.
- Troubleshooting on a hardware/OS/network/application level.
- Work closely with the broader Technical Operations Team, Software Development, Quality Assurance, and other internal teams as well as vendors to isolate & repair problems and help drive operational enhancements into the products.
- Document standards, operating and technical procedures for the system(s) and act as a technical resource to IT staff and system users.
- Participate in a 24x7 On Call rotation and off-peak maintenance activities.
- Mentoring other members of the team.
- Ability to influence and motivate others to work more effectively together towards a common goal.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, using organized, clear and logical thought patterns.
- Ability to verbally communicate effectively within the technology team as well as with other non-technical teams.
- Ability to independently communicate to management in a timely and effective manner on potential issues that may arise.
- Strong project management and time management skills.
- Organized and able to break down projects into smaller components or tasks.
- Ability to clearly identify task dependencies within projects.
- Ability to create detailed timelines with milestones, and achieve agreed upon deadlines.
- Strong motivation to see projects through to completion.
- Ability to work with a geographically diverse group of technically skilled individuals, including offshore resources.
Business and Problem Solving Skills:
- Strong problem solving skills with a keen eye towards execution that drives tangible results.
- Strong technical troubleshooting.
- Look for inefficiencies in operations and work to remove them allowing for greater operational leverage
- 8+ years of RedHat Enterprise Linux System Administration.
- 4+ years of Networking (Cisco) Administration (Nexus Switches, Firewalls, Routers, & Load balancers) a plus.
- Must have 3-4 years of recent experience in a Production Support environment.
- Must have strong experience with Unix scripting and automation tools / technologies: shell, perl, python, php or equivalent from an automation and monitoring standpoint.
- Must have strong grasp of building and maintaining infrastructure in the “cloud” as well as in a co-located datacenter.
- Must have the ability to identify and create tools to support everyday tasks.
- Must have strong experience with SAN and storage technologies (e.g., FC, FCoE, iSCSI, Direct attached, etc.). Netapp, 3par and Cisco SAN Switching a plus.
- Deep systems knowledge of x86 based Enterprise hardware (i.e., Blade Systems – Cisco UCS).
- Working knowledge of some of the following technologies: openldap, IPA, nfs, ntp, dns, postfix/sendmail, kickstart/cobbler, dhcp, pxe boot, yum, subversion, puppet, chef, lvs, clustering (redhat), server virtualization (xen, kvm, rhev, and vmware), lvm, multipathing, interface bonding.
- Jboss, ruby on rails, apache, tomcat administration and magento experience is a plus.
- Experience with monitoring and analysis systems (e.g., Nagios, ganglia, zenoss, RUM, synthetic monitoring, etc.).
- Experience administering large busy mysql servers and clusters a plus.