Maintains and reconciles GL accounts for growing company. Processes weekly and monthly check requests.
- Reconciles complex general ledger accounts including, but not limited to, benefit accounts, and banking accounts
- Research reconciling items and prepare correcting journal entries as required
- Completes check requests and submits for authorization
- Prepare monthly journal entries using the accrual basis
- Work with Project Accountants on month-end reconciliations for multiple subsidiaries
- Prepare subsidiary financial statements
- Perform complex financial analysis
- Special projects, including work with Benefits Coordinator to design quality control and reconciliation mechanisms for a complex combination of benefit plans.
- Assist with and prepare workpapers for annual retirement plan audits
- Other duties as assigned.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Education and/or Experience : Some college preferred accounting, and G/L necessary to achieve success in this position. Must have a thorough understanding of U.S. GAAP. Knowledge of CostPoint database is preferred. Project accounting is preferred. Accounting experience for benefits and real estate is preferred.
- Language Skills : Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
- Mathematical Skills : Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
- Computer Skills : To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to type 45 words per minute and should have knowledge of database software, spreadsheet software and word processing software. Microsoft packages preferred.
- Other Skills and Abilities :
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Problem Solving – Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works well in-group problem solving situations; uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
- Customer Service – Manages difficult or emotional customer situations; responds promptly to customer needs; responds to requests for service and assistance; meets commitments.
- Interpersonal Skills – Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming; maintains confidentiality; listens to others without interrupting; keeps emotions under control; remains open to others’ ideas and tries new things.
- Oral Communication – Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; listens and gets clarification; responds well to questions; participates in meetings.
- Written Communication – Writes clearly and informatively; edits work for spelling and grammar; presents numerical data effectively; able to read and interpret written information.
- Judgment – Displays willingness to make decisions; exhibits sound and accurate judgment; supports and explains reasoning for decisions; includes appropriate people in decision-making process; makes timely decisions.
- Motivation – Sets and achieves challenging goals; demonstrates persistence and overcomes obstacles; measures self against standard of excellence.
- Planning/Organizing – Prioritizes and plans work activities; uses time efficiently; plans for additional resources; sets goals and objectives; organizes or schedules other people and their tasks; develops realistic action plans.
- Professionalism – Approaches others in a tactful manner; reacts well under pressure; treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; accepts responsibility for own actions; follows through on commitments.
- Quality – Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; looks for ways to improve and promote quality; applies feedback to improve performance; monitors own work to ensure quality.
- Quantity – Meets productivity standards; completes work in timely manner; strives to increase productivity; works quickly.
- Safety and Security – Observes safety and security procedures; determines appropriate action beyond guidelines; reports potentially unsafe conditions; uses equipment and materials properly.
- Adaptability – Adapts to changes in the work environment; manages competing demands; changes approach or method to best fit the situation; able to deal with frequent changes, delays, or unexpected events.
- Attendance/Punctuality – Is consistently at work and on time; ensures work responsibilities are covered when absent; arrives at meetings and appointments on time.
- Dependability – Follows instructions, responds to management direction; takes responsibility for own actions; completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
- Initiative – Asks for and offers help when needed.
- Innovation – Generates suggestions for improving work; presents ideas and information in a manner that gets others’ attention.
The majority of work is performed in a professional office setting with a wide variety of people with differing functions, personalities and abilities.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and rarely lifts and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, and ability to adjust focus.
PREFERENCE STATEMENT :
Preference will be given to Calista shareholders and their descendants and spouses, and to shareholders of other corporations created pursuant to the Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act, in accordance with Title 43 U.S. Code 1626(g) and Title 42 U.S. Code 2003-2(i).
It is Calista’s business philosophy and practice to provide reasonable accommodations, according to applicable state and federal laws, to all qualified individuals with physical or mental disabilities.
This job description is not an employment agreement or contract. Management has the exclusive right to alter the scope of work within the framework of this job description at any time without prior notice.
Calista Corporation - 19 months ago