The role of the Data Analyst is to provide strategic and tactical support to the Barnard Development team and other areas of the College by analyzing and interpreting demographic and financial data in order to provide information and make recommendations on strategy and decision making. This role supports Development Major Gift, Annual Giving, Special Events, Planned Giving, and Campaign fundraising areas and matches the data needs from these areas with reporting solutions. It also provides needed data to other areas of the College including but not limited to Alumni Affairs, Career Development, and Academic departments.
Reports to Title
Business Analyst, Development
Full or Part Time
Number Of Months
Monday – Friday, 9AM to 5PM
Position End Date (if temporary)
2013 -00014- AS
Position Summary Information
Essential Duties Summary
• Creates reports and data extracts for development, alumnae affairs and other departments throughout the College.
• Prioritizing multiple reports, data analysis and data research requests with minimal supervision.
• Work with Business Analyst for Development to identify system and process improvement changes as appropriate as well as data integrity analysis.
• Assist with the completion of external surveys (such as VSE and US News and World Report) and benchmarking projects.
• Proactively communicate and collaborate to analyze information needs and requirements to deliver a project that meets stakeholder satisfaction
• Maintain strict confidentiality regulations set by the College and the department.
• Other duties as assigned by Business Analyst, Director of Development Operations and Associate Vice President and Chief of Staff for Development
Required Qualification Summary
• Bachelor’s degree in Business, Systems Analysis, Computer Science, or related field
• Must possess knowledge of fundraising principles and practices
• Two or more years of experience with reporting/data analytics.
• Two or more years of experience with writing SQL queries.
• Two or more years of experience with relational database management systems Ellucian Colleague Advancement preferred or other fundraising donor database.
• Highly organized and capable of managing multiple projects simultaneously while having the ability to shift work seamlessly when priorities change
• Intimately familiar with the operations of Major Gift, Annual Giving, Special Events and Planned Giving fundraising operations
• Strong communication skills; Must be able to write, communicate, facilitate, and present clearly to all levels within the College; ability to communicate in both technical and non-technical terms.
• Ability to prioritize a large volume of work and meet critical deadlines.
• Ability to gather requirements, design, develop, maintain, and distribute complex reports for non-technical audiences.
• Ability to interpret and analyze large amounts of data and draw appropriate conclusions.
• Proficient Microsoft Office computer skills
Preferred Qualification Summary
• Big picture problem solver, able to correlate data across multiple systems and functional areas. Excellent analysis and problem solving competence.
• Experience with Business Objects/Crystal Reports a plus
• Demonstrated motivational and problem solving capabilities
• Previous higher education experience a plus
Physical Demands Summary
Posting Detail Information
Barnard College is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from women and from individuals of diverse racial, ethnic, and cultural backgrounds.
Open Until Filled
Position is temporary until end of June 2013 with possibility of becoming a full-time, permanent position at the College.