Summary of Position:
This position is responsible for a variety of accounting responsibilities related to Cloud Peak Energy’s Spring Creek Coal Mine. This position will also support the corporate finance group. Under the guidance and supervision of the Site Controller, the primary role of the Senior Accountant will focus on timely and accurate monthly close, preparation of financial statements, formal and ad hoc cost reports, financial analysis and Sarbanes Oxley compliance.
- Excellent technical abilities and advanced excel and database skills. Ability to quickly learn complex ERP and accounting programs.
- Ability to research and problem solve.
- Must be committed to an accurate and timely work product.
- Takes responsibility for reviewing, preparing and posting transactions to the general ledger, account analysis and account reconciliations.
- Demonstrates ability to apply Generally Accepted Accounting Principles to all aspects of accounting duties.
- Performs account analyses and provides meaningful explanations relating to plan/actual variances.
- Performs control activities to comply with Sarbanes-Oxley Act and maintain appropriate control documentation.
- Prepares work papers that are organized, concise, cross-referenced and supported by conclusions.
- Assists mine site personnel with costing, planning and forecasting.
Knowledge and Relevant Experience
- BS degree in finance or accounting
- 4+ years of work experience in financial reporting, public accounting, or industry accounting
- Working knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
- CPA or relevant masters preferred.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Manage competing deadlines with strong organizational skills
- Above average Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Demonstrates initiative and resourcefulness
- Demonstrates attention to detail
- Ability to build relationships and work well across functions
- Problem solving capabilities
Cloud Peak Energy - 12 months ago
Cloud Peak Energy Inc. (NYSE: CLD) is headquartered in Wyoming and is the third largest U.S. coal producer and the only pure-play PRB coal...