The Shopper Insights Team Leader (Wal-Mart / Club Sector) is a strategically important and unique leadership position. This position helps demonstrate Unilever’s thought leadership, advance customer relations and improve Unilever’s ability to capitalize on opportunities arising from actionable shopper. Unilever’s success depends on leveraging our leadership in shopper insights in order to develop and enhance customer intimacy. The successful Shopper Insights Team Leader develops relationships with the most senior levels of Marketing, Merchandising, Operations and Category Management teams at Wal-Mart and Club customers and with the corresponding members of Unilever’s business teams. The resulting perspective from these relationships enables the Shopper Insights Team Leader to discuss strategic planning with our customers and to create, monitor and assure delivery of an insight roadmap and work plan that serves mutual growth and insight objectives. The Shopper Insight Team Leader uses their objectivity, specialized research knowledge, understanding of the customer’s shopper and knowledge of the retail environment in order to focus the activity of cross-functional account teams to achieve sales growth and improved collaboration with our most important customers.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Strategic Planning & Consulting
: Based on their understanding of the objectives and ways of working at Unilever and the customer, develop an insight roadmap (3 year horizon) and insight plan (1 year horizon) that aids Unilever’s business teams and Customer Development teams to set and reach annual objectives. In addition, the Shopper Insight Team Leader must be able to think beyond just information and insights, so they can provide business recommendations and consulting that draws on their past knowledge as well as the results of individual research projects. Such consulting is the hallmark of a successful Shopper Insight Team Leader.
2. Influencing Top Customers and Unilever’s Business Teams:
Leverage Unilever’s broad-scale strategic insights, global insights and other information from consumer market insights (CMI) and the business to influence our most important customers and help reach Unilever’s sales volume and relationship objectives. The proactive identification of opportunities and appropriate research approaches is an essential part of this process.
3. Managing Employees and Outside Agencies for Strategic Influence:
Manage shopper insight professionals (as appropriate to the resource allocation for the customer) and agencies to deliver high quality, objective and actionable research and insights to guide Customer Development (CD), Brand Building (BB), Shopper Marketing and Category Management initiatives. Build relationships between Shopper Insight and professionals in Customer Development, BB and BD Marketing, US CMI professionals and their Americas counterparts
4. Information & Insight Exchange
: Work closely with BB and BD CMI, sharing and obtaining knowledge and insights to enrich the decision-making within business teams and customer teams as they support key projects and the Integrated Business Planning process.
Shopper Insight positions require an unusually heavy travel schedule, approximately 35-40% of their time, as they must bring the voice of the customer’s shoppers to inform key projects and processes via meetings at the customer, at Unilever headquarters and at field sales locations.
2. Cross-category Expertise:
Shopper Insight Team Leaders are expected to be knowledgeable and to communicate effectively regarding CMI initiatives across all Unilever categories / projects that are active at their customers
3. Educating Key Stakeholders / Communicating Information
: This new discipline often requires teaching in order to enable key stakeholders to use the discipline most effectively. In addition, since every Shopper Insight research initiative touches Customer Development, Brand Development, Brand Building, Category Management and Shopper Marketing Shopper Insights must avoid alienating any of these groups by failing to keep them informed.
4. Ensuring Knowledge is Current:
Shopper Insight Team Leaders must stay closely connected to BB CMI managers in order to stay abreast of the most up-to-date category-specific and brand-specific plans and shopper understanding. In addition, managers must keep up with current events at retail and within the science of shopper insight.
5. Sharing Best Practices While Protecting The Trust Customers Place in Unilever:
Shopper Insight Team Leaders are expected to share information that comes from the daily execution of their jobs. This information takes the form of important trends, key learning, new methodologies and key supplier experiences. At the same time they must maintain their customer’s trust by being objective and by maintaining the confidentiality of the competitive initiatives undertaken by their customers and customer teams.
6. Helping to Maintain Unilever’s Thought Leadership in SI
: Unilever’s thought leadership in Shopper Insights (SI) is viewed throughout the industry as a competitive advantage. The Shopper Insight Team Leader must maintain that position by effectively representing Unilever outside of the company and by identifying new ways of advancing Unilever’s SI capability. This includes identification of new corporate insight opportunities as well as new SI methodologies/applications.
Individuals in this position serve as objective, trusted advisor to the leadership of Unilever’s Business in the Wal-Mart-Club sector. The Shopper Insight Team Leader supervises three people and is a key part of the customer development leadership team. The Shopper Insight Team Leader is also responsible for managing all aspects of insight procurement and dissemination to Unilever leadership and to the senior management in the Wal-Mart/Club sector.
· BA/BS degree in Marketing/Social Science or Business Administration
· Advanced Degree preferred.
· 7-10 years of increasing responsibility in marketing research, with expertise in custom survey research. Customer orientation a plus. Shopper experiences a very strong plus.
· Syndicated/POS/Panel a plus.
· Demonstrated success at project management.
· Demonstrated ability to be an effective contributor in a cross-functional team environment.
· Ability to integrate and assimilate consumer information with other data to provide a brand business perspective and brand/category recommendations.
· Strong analytical and presentation skills.
· CPG experience and Sales interaction preferred.
· Prior interaction with sales teams/customers a strong plus.
· Effective root cause identification to focus on the correct business and research issues in order to identify the appropriate research approach
· Supervises two or more individuals. Must have the ability to set clear objectives, identify priorities, provide direction and coordinate solution-related activities.
· Problem Solving. Must have the ability to tackle complex situations, evaluate alternative courses of action, and provide fact-based solutions/recommendations.
· Communications. Must be skilled in presentation, verbal and written communications. Must be able to effectively relate with multiple levels of management, both internally and externally.
· Leadership. Should possess strong leadership qualities.
· Team Commitment. Must work effectively, and in a highly collaborative manner, with other CMI specialists, Brand Marketing, Shopper Marketing, Category Management, Field Sales, and all levels of the Customer’s management.
Unilever offers a competitive compensation package which includes: Medical & Dental Plans, Life Insurance, including eligible spouses, domestic partners & children; Health Care Flexible Spending, Dependent Care, Retirement & Savings Plans, Tuition Reimbursement, Paid Vacation and Holidays.
Please note: as part of the job application, you will be asked to complete an online assessment. Completion of the assessment is mandatory in order to be considered. Please allow yourself plenty of time to complete both the application and assessment. If the assessment is filled out partially or not at all, it will adversely affect the progress of your application. Please be aware that you will have to complete the assessment at once as you will be unable to return to it later.
Unilever is an equal opportunity employer. It prohibits discrimination based on age, color, disability, marital or parental status, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status or any other legally protected status in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.
Employment is subject to verification of pre-employment drug-screening results and background investigation.
160 million times a day, some-one somewhere chooses a Unilever product.
Our brands include Dove, Knorr, Hellmann’s, Becel/Flora,...