The Sidewalk Landscape (SWL) Planting Manager is primarily responsible for the implementation of FUF's neighborhood planting programs, including organizing neighborhood groups to complete 6-8 sidewalk landscape projects per year and 4-6 community or replacement tree plantings. A strong working knowledge of arboriculture and horticulture as well as community organizing experience is required for this position. The position involves both office and field work including computer work, public speaking, some heavy lifting (40 lbs.), and driving a FUF truck (a valid California license is required). The Planting Manager works closely with neighborhood coordinators, planting groups, contractors and FUF volunteers. Reports to the SWL Director and Program Director.
Details and Responsibilities
Sidewalk Landscape and Tree Planting
• Surveys neighborhood to determine site suitability, plant species, and soil and to become familiar with utility issues and specific neighborhood context.
• Conducts community meetings for planting groups to explain planting process, property owner responsibilities (current and future).
• Notifies Underground Service Alert for all properties involved in the SWL project.
• Approves sidewalk garden and tree locations and marks sidewalks for cutting, observing USA markings and all city guidelines.
• Collects and tracks all money and ensures that all project invoices are approved for payment upon receipt.
• Collects all necessary completed forms and ensures that all required permits and required paperwork is completed prior to proceeding with any property alteration.
• Updates the FUF database in a timely and accurate manner for each property involved in a SWL project.
• Coordinates all vendors and contractors.
• Conducts a walk-through of project with contractors, provides map and list of properties prior to the beginning of work, provides direction to and supervises contractors.
• Orders all trees, plants, materials and supplies and supervises delivery.
• Ensures adequate volunteer coverage on workdays, including organizing and notifying FUF volunteers and/or Volunteer Coordinator.
• Coordinates and supervise workdays, including preparing maps, educating and supervising volunteers, ensuring a safe work environment and making arrangements for the Saturday potluck or other special celebrations/ ceremonies.
• Keeps an organized file of all relevant invoices, drawings, correspondence and writes final project report that includes project expenses, workday narrative and photos.
• For each planting, processes invoices, forwards checks to Data Administrator, writes final project report and uploads photos onto Flickr.
• Assesses sidewalk gardens and trees planted under their supervision 2-months including performing necessary tree care at that time (may include re-tying, re- staking and sometimes replanting).
Sidewalk Landscape Duties
• Conducts a site analysis for each property participating in a SWL project and produces a sketch of all elements for the DPW SWL Permit Application. Produces or coordinates the production of a final permit drawing for each property.
• Ensures that all sidewalk gardens have an approved SWL Permit, including meeting with the Bureau of Urban Forestry Inspector for an initial walk-through, submitting the SWL Permit and drawing one month prior to the concrete demo and follow up BUF walk-through, if necessary.
• Maintains plants in FUF tree yard, including regular watering and occasional weeding or disposal.
Tree Planting Duties
• Forwards DPW Tree Planting Permit Applications to DPW.
• Maintains replacement tree lists and forms.
• Ensures that replacement tree plantings are integrated into scheduled neighborhood tree plantings and/or coordinates scheduled replacement tree plantings.
• Orders planting and other miscellaneous materials necessary to complete planting projects.
• Maintains materials and trees in inventory and provides accurate records.
• Maintains tools in clean working order.
• Maintains FUF truck in clean working order.
Office Related Duties
• Using design software, creates maps, graphics, spreadsheets and other documents as needed.
• Keeps up-to-date with all correspondence, including SWL interest and property owners/care-takers involved in a SWL project.
• Updates database with SWL project data.
• Works with other staff on special projects and day to day operations.
• Photo taking, downloading, labeling and electronically filing.
• Performs community outreach in areas designated for a SWL project.
• Assists in the planning of, attends and participates in FUF special events.
• Attends neighborhood meetings and special events to promote the value of trees and FUF's mission.
• Supervises and trains FUF interns and volunteers as needed and maintains/updates volunteer lists.
• Trains new planting managers, interns and volunteers as needed.
Hours 40 hours per week including evening meetings and Saturday plantings. Full-time with benefits (per Employee Handbook, February 2010).
idealist.org - 16 months ago
We are a group of citizens working, through education and advocacy, to maintain and increase the health, integrity and area of Guelph's...