Discover the Difference You Can Make at Gate Gourmet
Gate Gourmet, Inc., a gategroup company, is the world's largest independent provider of catering and provisioning services for the airline industry. For the past 70 years, we have served over 250 carriers in more than 30 countries. Gate Gourmet combines culinary expertise with the highest standards of food safety and production to deliver delicious, healthy, and affordable meals to over 270 million travelers around the globe.
We are currently looking for an Executive Chef to join our flight kitchen operations team located at Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport in Atlanta, Georgia. Reporting to the General Manager of the Unit, the Executive Chef is responsible for daily monitoring of the preparation of the pre-designed meals for multiple customer accounts with culinary expertise through the management of all Chefs, Sous Chefs and Cooks at the unit, and promoting and providing quality food services to airline clients.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities :
- Achieves culinary operational objectives by contributing information and analysis to strategic plans and reviews; preparing and completing action plans; implementing production, productivity, quality, and customer-service standards; serving as culinary resource to operations managers; identifying and resolving problems; completing audits; determining system improvements; implementing change.
- Meets culinary financial objectives by estimating requirements; assisting with menu design; anticipating and evaluating response to menu presentation; scheduling expenditures; analyzing variances; initiating corrective actions; evaluating time-saving production techniques; training others in specialty techniques.
- Adheres to recipes and portion specifications as required by the customer by understanding consumer tastes and nutritional needs; reviewing product specifications; evaluating ease of menu preparation; applying established procedures and budgetary constraints.
- Oversees food preparation by consulting with the Buyer; Sous Chefs; Cooks, and team leaders; overseeing portion size; controlling productivity; providing culinary leadership in areas of personal expertise; monitoring presentations, garnishments, and sauces.
- Improves menu quality and consistency by analyzing food production records and menu expenses; promotion kitchen staff interest in quality improvement; studying, evaluating, and re-designing processes; implementing changes.
- Prepares menu and food preparation reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing food, dining, and customer data and trends.
- Maintains safe, secure, and healthy work environment by establishing, following, and enforcing standards and procedures; complying with sanitation and federal, state, and local legal regulations; overseeing food preparation, safety, and security; reviewing and implementing accidents and disaster plans.
- Using menu specifications, maintains food ingredients, food preparation, and general supplies by selecting and purchasing menu ingredients; evaluating the quality of fresh food and food product deliveries; maintaining general supplies; establishing inventory levels, re-order points, storage requirements, and cost-controls.
- Maintains culinary equipment by following operating instructions; instructing staff in equipment use; troubleshooting breakdowns; maintaining equipment supplies; performing preventive maintenance; calling for repairs; evaluating new equipment; preparing administrative proposals to justify purchases.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; benchmarking state-of-the-art practices; being sought for opinions as a culinary experts; contributing to professional publications; participating in professional societies and sharing this information with direct reports.
- Accomplishes culinary goals by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests; exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments.
- Ensures quality production standards are followed and maintained. Ensures employees adhere to HACCP, FDA and safety regulations and compliance with company policies and procedures.
- Trains and monitors employees on proper work procedures and production of products to ensure maximum productivity with minimum labor and food expenses.
- Assists in the development and training of cooks as required.
- Prepares administrative reports as required.
- Ensures maximum productivity and labor costs are maintained according to financial requirements. Monitors daily manpower planning and employee turnover. Responsible for employee retention.
- Ensures meal cycles are communicated in a timely and accurate basis. Monitor yields of products to ensure maximum usage.
- Works with management staff to improve performance of the unit.
- Ensure menu presentations are properly planned, set up, and specifications reviewed to ensure compliance.
- Maintains labor requirements, food costs, overtime, and all productivity requirements.
- Must ensure all cooks and Sous Chefs have the skill and ability to perform all cooking and food preparation requirements of all the Airline Accounts serviced in the Unit.
- Ensures all products are cooked at required temperature according to airline and food safety specification, etc.
- Responsible for coaching, counseling and preparing corrective action for employees.
- Performs other related duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Must have an associate degree or bachelor's degree in the Culinary Arts or a related field (formal culinary education required) or at least four (4) years of experience in an Executive Chef role.
- Must have a minimum of seven (7) to ten (10) years of experience as a Chef.
- Must have a minimum of two (2) to five (5) years of experience as an Executive Chef.
- Must have a minimum of one (1) to three (3) years of experience working in a high volume, manufacturing, food production and restaurant or catering environment.
- Must have in-flight catering experience or experience in a high-volume, food service environment.
- Current or previous labor relations experience, a plus.
- Must have the ability to cook meals according to detailed specifications.
- Must have strong and effective leadership skills and the ability to successfully manage a staff of two to three Sous Chefs and over twenty cooks.
- Must be comfortable with all levels of employees and have the ability to drive positive program change.
- Must have the ability to train others.
- Must have strong organizational and analytical skills.
- Must be innovative and have the ability to make changes to the operation as needed to further improve the work environment and unit performance.
- Must have the ability to give negative and positive feedback to employees on a daily basis.
- Must have the ability to work in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment.
- Must have excellent time management skills. Must have the ability to handle multiple tasks without losing focus on priorities.
- Experience with menu design, a plus.
- Must have basic computer skills using Microsoft Office products such as Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint and Outlook.
Certificates, Licenses and Registrations :
- Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Multi-lingual, a plus.
- ServSafe Certified, preferred.
- Must have the ability to obtain ServSafe Certification.
Environmental Requirements :
- Must have the ability to travel up to 25% of the time.
Demonstrated Competencies to be Successful in the Position:
- Regularly stands, bends, lifts, and moves intermittently during shifts of 10+ hours.
- In a normal production kitchen facility, there may be physical discomfort due to temperature and noise.
- Must be able to lift, push, pull and move products, equipment, supplies, etc. in excess of twenty five (25) pounds.
- A rotating schedule of 55+ hours per week is typical.
- Thinking - information search and analysis, problem resolution skills
- Engaging - understanding others, team leadership, developing people
- Inspiring - influencing and building relationships, motivating and inspiring, communicating effectively
- Achieving - delivering business results under pressure, championing performance improvement, customer focus
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the individual(s) assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required. Management reserves the right to modify, add, or remove duties and to assign other duties as necessary. In addition, reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
Candidates will be required to go through pre-employment drug screen, criminal background check and/or airport fingerprinting.
Gate Gourmet, Inc. is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer!
Gate Gourmet - 17 months ago
Dining at 30,000 feet is no problem when the plane is loaded with food from Gate Gourmet. The foodservice company is one of the world's...