Job Title: Registered Nurse, PRN
Provide relevant nursing and support services for patients in an acute psychiatric care setting.
I. Primary Accountabilities
Achieve Results .
1. Ensure all clinical care is delivered in a manner that meets or exceeds goals and expectations for clinical outcomes, quality assurance standards and patient satisfaction.
2. Ensure all patients are supported with an effective plan of care based upon. an assessment of the patient’s diagnosis, reason for entry into the system and care needs. Utilize the nursing process to plan, perform, delegate and evaluate the delivery of nursing care.
3. Ensure all patient charts and related documentation are maintained current and relevant at all times.
4. Ensure the care and nursing practices of nursing personnel are conducted consistent within current, relevant standards, as well as state and local laws and regulations, and related professional standards
5. Collaborate with the director nursing and director of quality improvement to ensure compliance with internal and external quality standards and policies. Ensure program readiness for the Medicaid, JC and licensing and accreditation process. Conduct performance improvement activities related to the integrity of the clinical and educational service areas of the medical record.
6. Deliver exceptional clinical care to patients and their families. Provide accurate and timely education to patients and their families on medications, diagnoses and treatment. Conduct patient groups appropriate to age and developmental levels of patients.
Communication and Relationships
7. Actively communicate with, and develop favorable working relationships within, all areas of the Marillac. Facilitate improved communication within organization. Meet regularly with program staff and actively participate in department meetings and other designated committee meetings. Maintain appropriate contact with other agency leaders to make them aware of any unusual situation and assist with any clinical issue.
8. Develop and maintain favorable external relationships with pharmacy, contractors, referral agencies and related sources.
9. Contribute to team success: Support established goals and objectives as implemented through the sanctuary model of care.
Stewardship and Professionalism
10. Uphold and ensure all work performance and personal conduct is compliant with the policies, procedures as well as mission and values of the organization at all times.
11. Advance leadership-driven organization cultural change process, and demonstrate through actions and personal behaviors a commitment to the well being and success of Marillac, including our employees, volunteers, vendors, partners, and especially those for whom we serve and care.
12. Demonstrate leadership and support to the Sanctuary Steering Team efforts to integrate Sanctuary through all aspects of the agency. Provide support in priority areas such as client interaction, employee hiring process, and job performance and evaluation.
I. Primary Tasks & Duties
- Provide coaching, training and competency/annual performance evaluations to direct reports.
- Ascertain need for and secures services of physician or other medical services such as dietician or other consultations.
- Counsel staff as appropriate and notifies Human Resources of any disciplinary action
- Document and tracks efforts toward professional growth activities for self (seminars, in service training) and others (contributing to the learning of staff).
- Provide ongoing development, review and revision of the policies, goals and objectives of nursing and inpatient programs.
- Ensure completion of audits of medications, charts and other records to ensure accuracy of delivery and documentation.
- Ensure a clean, safe environment through regular inspections and audits
- Stay current with knowledge, concepts, practices and skills appropriate for the clinical area assigned. Demonstrate and achieve acceptable ratings on all specific clinical knowledge and skill assessments required of the position to which one is assigned.
- Demonstrate interpersonal savvy and influence skills in managing difficult patients and/or their families.
- Demonstrate strong attention to detail and accuracy.
- Demonstrate the ability to implement and evaluate operational and administrative processes.
- Demonstrate a high degree of professionalism and effective interpersonal skills at all times with internal and external customers.
- Display awareness of and adheres to the need for confidentiality of all information regarding clients and their families, volunteers, donors, board members and co-workers.
- Ability to communicate in a highly professional manner in both written and personal communications.
- Understands health and safety procedures as evidenced by participation in drills, and use of Universal Precautions.
- Demonstrate ability to handle multiple tasks and work with flexible, changing priorities.
- Demonstrate understanding and competence in correctly using the electronic health record software (ProFiler).
- Make sound decisions and utilize good judgment.
- Expertise and knowledge in relevant areas of professional study and subject matter.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBLITIES: Is responsible for the overall direction, coordination, and evaluation of nursing department personnel. Directly supervises nurses and milieu workers and indirectly supervises support staff. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Must be at least 21 years old. Must be certified in Healthcare CPR.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE: Associate’s or Bachelor's degree (BSN) from four-year college or university, prefer at least two years management experience; Current relevant state licensure as a Registered Nurse. *New graduates must complete the state board examination within 90 days of graduation.
LANGUAGE SKILLS: Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
MATHEMATICAL SKILLS: Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
REASONING ABILITY: Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS: Registered Nurse with current license in the State of Kansas. Must maintain a current driver's license. Must maintain current certificates in agency-specified crisis intervention training, CPR and First Aid. Must remain current on all required annual training.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand. The employee frequently is required to walk and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and taste or smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. The employee may occasionally be required to participate in physical interventions. As such an individual must demonstrate physical skills that require agility, mobility and flexibility. The employee must be able to safely lower an out of control client to the floor, with individuals weighing as much as 185 pounds, as an individual. The employee must be able to assist in a team to protect the client/staff/peers/visitor from harm by escorting, moving or holding clients using techniques taught at this facility. The employee must be able to move quickly and effectively when involved in a team restraint, this requires flexibility and mobility while in various positions i.e. on the floor, on knees, moving from kneeling to standing etc.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee occasionally works in outside weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is often moderate.
Complete other duties as assigned.
Please submit your cover letter and resume Marillac Center 8000 W. 127th Street, Overland Park, KS 66213, 913-951-4321 (fax).
EOE/Post offer drug screen/Must be at least 21/Smoke-Free Campus