The mission of the United States Air Force is to
in air, space and cyberspace.
To achieve that mission, the Air Force has a vision of Global Vigilance, Reach and Power. That vision orbits around three core competencies: Developing Airmen, Technology-to-Warfighting and Integrating Operations. Core competencies and distinctive capabilities are based on a shared commitment to three core values --
integrity first, service before self, and excellence in all we do.
Military service member's "Statement of Service" will be accepted up to 120 days prior to separation date IF a terminal leave form or DD214 cannot be provided.
The "Statement of Service" must be signed by, or by direction of, the adjutant, personnel officer, or commander of your unit or higher headquarters and must indicate when your terminal leave will begin, your rank, dates of active duty service, the Type of Discharge and Character of Service (i.e. honorable).
WHO MAY APPLY:
for more information.
You MUST have one or more identified eligibilities in order to be considered.
**Air Force is not responsible for erroneous eligibilities you list or fail to list**
Air Force Employee (Current, Permanent, Competitive Service, Career/Career-Conditional Employee)
This is a drug testing designated position. The incumbent is subject to pre-employnment drug testing as a condition of employment and participation in random drug testing.
- U.S. Citizenship Required
- Travel and relocation expenses will not be paid
- Pre-employment physical is required for this position
- Alaska is a high cost living area
Back to top
- The primary purpose of this position is t
o install, modify, splice, troubleshoot, and repair underground and buried
copper, (to include Local Area Network Category 5 cabling), coaxial, and fiber optic telecommunications cable system and
perform preventive maintenance on the system to include antenna systems. Operates engineering equipment and motor
vehicles up to 2 ½ tons.
- Install, maintains and modifies copper, coaxial, fiber optic and local area network (LAN) cable systems.
- Installs, removes, maintains, modifies, troubleshoots and repairs ground-to-air communications system including UHF, VHF and microwave antenna and communications equipment.
- Monitors, analyzes and troubleshoots copper, coaxial, fiber optic and LAN cable systems.
- Independently reviews work orders and installs or performs repair actionson UHF, VHF and microwave antenna systems to include copper, Fiber Optic and LAN communication systems.
Back to top
Applicants will be rated in accordance with the OPM Qualification Standard Handbook X-118C; (e.g. WG-2500 Wire Communications Equipment Installation and Maintenance Group). Although a specific length of time and experience is not required for most blue-collar positions, you must meet any screen-out element listed, and show through experience and training that you possess the quality level of knowledge and skill necessary to perform the duties of the position at the level for which they are applying. Qualification requirements emphasis is on the quality of experience, not necessarily the length of time.
The screen out element for this position is the ability to do the work of a Wire Communications Cable Splicer without more than normal supervision.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (KSAs): Your qualifications will be evaluated on the basis of your level of knowledge, skills, abilities and/or competencies in the following areas:
1. Knowledge of telecommunications cable principles and trade practices to maintain, install, repair and splicing of
various types of coaxial cables and wave-guides as well as skill in installing, removing, maintaining and
troubleshooting antenna systems.
2. Knowledge of electrical and light-wave communications on buried and underground copper core, coax and fiber
optics communications, LAN systems and knowledge of electrical and light-wave communications of copper core,
coax and fiber optic splicing, splicing diagrams, techniques and sealing cables. Knowledge of all types of coaxial
connectors to install connectors in place on equipment
3. Knowledge of LAN systems, characteristics and transmission, and the installation, termination, troubleshooting
and repair of category 5 cable and associated hardware.
4. Knowledge of the operation of locating buried cable faults, identifying causes of deterioration on cable
transmission and tracing buried cable.
5. Ability to use, update and process engineering and installation drawings. Ability to process AF Form 103,
6. Ability to use standard hand-tools and a variety of electronic test equipment test equipment.
PART-TIME OR UNPAID EXPERIENCE
Credit will be given for appropriate unpaid and or part-time work.
You must clearly identify the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the total number of hours per week.
ADDITIONAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
1. Secret security clearance will be required for this position due to access to secure working environment.
2. Position requires the ability to discern colors, contrast, and depth.
3. May be required to be on-call on a rotating basis, and work unusual duty hours (evenings, weekends, and holidays)
due to mission requirements.
4. May be required to travel by commercial or military aircraft in the performance of temporary duty. May be required to
live in field conditions while performing temporary duty.
5. Requires a valid Government motor vehicle operators license for each type of equipment operated.
6. This is a Testing Designated Position. The employee is subject to random drug testing (IAW AFI44-107, April
Your latest resume will be used to determine your qualifications.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
To determine if you are qualified for this position, your resume will be reviewed and compared to your responses to the assessment questionnaire.
Applicants, who disqualify themselves, will not be evaluated further.
Back to top
Benefits of Working for the Federal Government -
for an overview of the benefits currently offered to Federal employees.
Males born after 12-31-59 must be registered or exempt from Selective Service.
For additional information, click
Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP):
For information on how to apply as an ICTAP eligible click
To be well-qualified and exercise selection priority for this vacancy, displaced Federal employees must be rated at 8
or above on the rating criteria for this position.
Employed Annuitants (Reemployed Annuitants)
: Applicants in receipt of an annuity based on civilian employment in the Federal Service are subject to the DoD Policy on The Employment of Annuitants. Click
for more information.
: Recruitment and/or retention incentives may or may not be used.
This announcement may result in a 90-day register that may be used to fill like vacancies for 90 days after the closing date. Applicants may be referred for consideration as vacancies occur.
: All Federal employees are required to have Federal salary payments made by direct deposit to a financial institution of their choosing.
HOW TO APPLY:
Back to top
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
1. Your Résumé
2. A complete Occupational Questionnaire
3. Additional Required Documents (see Required Documents section below)
The complete Application Package
be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on
Thursday, March 07, 2013
To begin the process, click the
button to create an account or log in to your existing USAJOBS account. Follow the prompts to complete the occupational questionnaire. Please ensure you click the
Submit My Answers
button at the end of the process.
To fax supporting documents you are unable to upload, click
for the required cover page.
This Vacancy ID is
. Fax your documents to
If you cannot apply online:
1. Click the following link to view and print the questionnaire
View Occupational Questionnaire
2. OPM Form 1203-FX must be provided to show your responses to the occupational questionnaire.
The numbering sequence on the OPM Form 1203-FX will not match the Occupational Questionnaire.
Section 25 of the Occupational Questionnaire restarts with number one, so when entering your responses please continue regardless of number sequence.
This issue has been identified and will be resolved as soon as possible. Applicants are responsible for ensuring their responses are transferred accurately.
for the OPM Form 1203-FX., and
3. Fax all required documents to
. Your OPM Form 1203-FX will be the cover page for your fax transmission.
It is the applicants responsibility to verify that information entered, uploaded, or faxed (i.e., resume) is received, accurate and submitted by the closing date.
You may verify your documents have been processed with your application package successfully by clicking
Uploaded documents may take up to one hour to clear the virus scan.
Faxed documents take 2-3 business days to process.
modify or change any answers submitted by an applicant.
The following documents are required and must be provided by the closing date of the announcement.
- If you submit a resume with inappropriate material e.g. photos, you will not be considered for this vacancy. Your resume may be submitted in any format. For qualifications determinations your resume must contain hours worked per week and the dates of employment (i.e., HRS per week and month/year to month/year or month/year to present). Resumes that do not contain this information will be marked as insufficient and applicants may not receive consideration for this position.
If selected, you will be required to submit the following documents to substantiate your eligibility and/or qualifications. A list of required documents for all eligibilities may be located
SF50, DD214, Proof of Disability, Certification of Job Readiness, etc.
If you are faxing any documents, click
for the official cover sheet to print.
The fax number is 478-757-3144
Ensure all submitted documents contain your full name, address, phone number and last four digits of your social security number.
AGENCY CONTACT INFO:
8517 20TH STREET STE 203
Department of the Air Force - 2 years ago
The mission of the United States Air Force is to fly, fight and win...in air, space and cyberspace. To achieve that mission, the Air Force...